A New Member of the Family

Awesome machine. Congrats!

Great looking machine. Should be very versatile, and useful. Cheers, Mike

What I most feared. :bawling:

As it stands right now, those of us in the middle-third of North-America are effectively and efficiently now forbidden from purchases of most things that require ocean transport. Freight and kerfuffle have reached that point that illustrates the inherent and obvious weaknesses of off-shoring and out-sourcing.

As of my latest information, imports are for all intents and purposes, shut off.
I'm curious as to what you were told that would make you say that " imports are for all intents and purposes, shut off".

There are surely long waits, but I've not heard anything to the effect of any shut down.

P.S. My vote is Grendel! Suffix, 6.5 :)

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new machine.
It looks spectacular!

I guess sometimes the stars do align.

May I suggest some good dust covers for Milly and Lilly, just tell them that you bought them new fancy dresses (so they don't get jealous).

-brino
Dresses.... HAH!

Not a bad idea though. I set up the grinder so it throws swarf to one side, near Lizzy's headstock (rather than towards the CNC or Laserbeam) and I was beginning to consider a plexiglass shroud with a vacuum port - perhaps suspended from the ceiling over the Grinder.

The biggest issue is that my electrical supply does not want to run too much at a time - Grinder, lights, and a vacuum? Might be over budget on the amps.

Haven't been able to get a meatier wire run yet.

I think the dresses for Milly and Lizzy might be the best decision at the moment - wouldn't want them getting rock-dust on their gams! :)

I'm curious as to what you were told that would make you say that " imports are for all intents and purposes, shut off".

There are surely long waits, but I've not heard anything to the effect of any shut down.

P.S. My vote is Grendel! Suffix, 6.5 :)
I'm leaning towards Grendel too!

It isn't that the tap has been shut off, but that freight has gotten insanely expensive, combined with extreme wait times and MASSIVE backlog that, in PM's case, it isn't worth it to even try at the moment (at the moment... they will try someday).

As I said, imports are still happening, but the freight situation has jacked them up so bad.

Containers normally cost $2-3k to cross the Pacific, with 30-60 days lead. From what I've read, it's now getting passed $7000.00 (and even closer to $14,000 in some cases) - and that's only if someone has the space within the next year - YEAR - or so. I did read some importer saying that he simply cannot find anyone, at ANY price, to ship his containers.

I can't really believe what I read, so I don't, but PM telling me flat-out that they would not sell me a grinder because they simply can't get them... they WOULD sell me something with a 6 month lead time, but that is not what they said. They said (they are very friendly and I like them a lot) - they said simply "No."

Walmart is probably still getting things through (assuredly) but I believe that, for now at least, small to medium sized importers are effectively priced and volumed out of the business.

My information may be outdated - even as I write this, there may be 120,000,000 TEU happily bobbing in Los Angeles and New Jersey - but at the end of the day, importing has become so unreliable from my end that I've stopped looking for anything coming over an ocean.

@MERLIncMan

Very nice find. Shipping costs are getting ridiculous. But I think you may have come way out ahead here.

As for the name, she is a Surface Grinder, so you could name her Shirley or Grendel, either would work. Not up on my Lord of the Ring but no doubt there is probably a cool name that starts with an S as well as G.

@MERLIncMan

Very nice find. Shipping costs are getting ridiculous. But I think you may have come way out ahead here.

As for the name, she is a Surface Grinder, so you could name her Shirley or Grendel, either would work. Not up on my Lord of the Ring but no doubt there is probably a cool name that starts with an S as well as G.
Smaug?
Golem?

:D

Awesome machine. Congrats!

That thread is actually what I found while searching for the manual :)

Resulted in me getting a manual...

Can't ask for better than that!

Back