A Non Conventional Repair Of Old Air Compressor

UPDATE

After testing the unit it proved to be:

a. working more silently compared to the monoblock 2HP one I have
b. Smaller and easier maneuverable
c. provide a medium air supply and pressure, adequate for my small shop
I decided to add a pressure switch and some sort of air tank to it to make it more like an air compressor.

Two old 10 lt. fire extinguishers were used as air tanks

P1071942s.jpg

As my first effort to stick weld a 20 lt extinguisher created small holes in each welding spot I decided to clamp the pair instead of welding them to the base.

P1071954s.jpg

I used a stainless flexible metal hose to provide some cooling to the pressurized air before it enters the air tanks.

P1071947s.jpg

A small expansion chamber that collects humidity (water) that can be drained through a small screw at the bottom was also used.

P1071944s.jpg

And I have a silent small air compressor to use for small jobs.

P1071951s.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Petros

Nice job, I like the idea of recycling the extinguisher tanks, did you add condensate drain valves on them as well?

I like your improvised plumbing fittings Petros- Great scrounging!
Mark

Yes I know very well, and I imagine you don't have hardware stores in the abundance we have here
M

Yes I know very well, and I imagine you don't have hardware stores in the abundance we have here
M

We do have some big general hardware stores, (thats how I acquire all that funny stuff) but they are not specialized in engineering and as I usually make most of my projects at weekend evenings they are closed!

Back