A (not so) Little Freebie Turned up in my Driveway

Now that's a SCORE!
Perfect size also.
I want one! :grin:

Oh yes - the value of something like this just sort of "happening" is not lost on me. I have my repaired + refurbished vernier height gauge all ready for it, though I still have to sort out that the (several) carbide scriber parts in the box it came with are from some different gauge.

Sadly, the lady of the house did not quite get it. She said the granite stone would go just fine under one of her pot plants in the garden. I had to move fast to divert the black block from a weedy future!

Now if my driveway could just play host to the arrival of a nice 42" camel-back with 45° wedge on one side.. :)
Yeah!

Oh wait, not this type of camel-back... :cool 2:
0514182032_Rc.jpg
I keep going out to the end of our driveway, still no 'drop-offs'...

Nice! Maybe chock those wheels! :)

@middle.road : Hee Hee - I am still trying to figure it. A pillar drill - right?
My freebie granite still awaits a suitable height gauge to match it's quality.

A while back, I picked up a auction deal off eBay for about £27, being two gauges, one in a wooden box. One was Shardlow, and the other a Chesterman, now known as Rabone Chesterman. It came with a cylindrical precision 1.5" calibration gauge.The Shardlow needed repair. Some ham-fisted git had turned the adjuster knob on the back while it was locked in precision worm gear mode with such force it sheared the two 1/16" pins in the keyway.

New territory for me, I took it apart, refurbished it, pushed out the two pins, and made up some new ones. The several carbide scribers that came with it all were clearly quality, and in great condition, but not the right height to set all the way down to the surface.

Then I found --> THIS

Given that these gauges go for around £40 for a single beat-up used, with most around £75 for one a bit less beat up, £100-£150 for various new, and the quality fancy Mitutoyo at about $450, I think I did OK. The eBay 25mm high carbide scriber leaves only 0.4mm to calibrate out. I will set it down on "driveway freebie", and move the verniers to zero it. There looks to be enough calibrate shift to be able to do it. At worst, I can turn 25mm into 25.4mm by raiding my feeler gauge set, and have 0.4mm feeler donate some of itself, re-purposed into a shim spacer.

Slowly, steadily, I am acquiring the basic stuff to do anything precision. The granite block on a stand is a huge boost to that end.

Nice! Maybe chock those wheels! :)
Two of the red wheels have a lever brake. Without, it would have gathered speed pretty rapidly, even over that old concrete. The trolley is actually leftover as a totally OTT solution to a different cause now no longer. There is a stiffener structure of 2" x 2"s between the 18mm plywoods that does not leave very much ply area between supports, and the wheels are 900kg rated bolted right through into recessed nylocks.

And yes - there has been an occasion when I ended up running after it as it used all that gravity could supply to accelerate, and try for an overshoot off the cutting, and down onto the road!

Back