A Peerless Shaper Followed Me Home Too

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
Rather than continue stealing Frank's thread (thank you by the way) I've started one on the clean up of this one.
Not much if any info on the net about this brand. Was built in Guelph Ontario no idea when. The 5 grove V-belt pulley is original, (the clutch is inside it) so Im guessing after the 40"s?
Some of these photos are in Frank's thread but thought I'd repost for completeness.

It hadn't been used in about 10 years, and sat in a damp building so it has surface rust and years of aged grime.
IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

I wet it down with Spray 9 household cleaner then pressure washed it before bringing it into the shop.
Used my car hoist with a pipe across the arms to lift it, then pulled the trailer out from under neath.

IMG_1859.jpg

There was no way to power it up at the place I bought it so took a bit of a gamble. I could roll it over with the pulley but it was some stiff.
It had a 50 amp 220 v single phase welder plug on the cord but the motor doesn't have capacitors.

IMG_1867.jpg

The motor rewind guy said it could be a repulsive/inductive motor, if it was he said to do all I could to keep it going, they had incredible starting torque . Sure enough I found a cover and there were brushes for the start windings. They pull back off the commentator once its at speed.

IMG_1866.jpg

With a little caution I plugged it in, no sparks or dimming lights. Flipped the switch and it gave a bit of a hiss coming up to speed then almost silent, save the slapping of the laminations coming off the ancient belt.
Eased the clutch in and she sprang back to life. A little morning and groaning as the new oil worked into the bearings and covered the gears then started to get quieter. Still has a little gear howl in the higher gears but guess thats expected with square cut gears.
Seams like the gamble payed off so its time to start cleaning the old girl up.

Had a cold wet day here and she started to fall apart.

IMG_1871.jpg

Thank god for overhead cranes when you start disassembling parts this heavy.

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

There are at least a few of us with fond memories of shapers, (first machine I ran in my apprenticeship). Its good that you got it running, its' better that you're re-habbing it. Keep it up.

Tom

Nice find... I am glad your gamble payed off. One thing that looks weird to me is that the motor pulley only seems to have two grooves when the big one has 5...

crumbs Dangermouse, that's not a trivial machine! Fingers crossed it just needs a bit of TLC and it'll be as good as new.

Thanks for the comments.
I'm seeing next to no wear in the slides for the table and the ends of the ram look great, hard to believe that a commercial machine would have seen this little use?
As for the motor I doubt its the original but can't imagine what it would have had that would warrant 5 A section belts. My lathe uses 4 belts with a 10 hp motor.

Greg

All the front end parts got degreased and pressure washed then into a barrel of molasses for a couple of weeks soaking.

IMG_1876.jpg

From what it took to fill the barrel, there's roughly 13 gallons of cast iron, or 1000 pounds, sounds about right.

Greg

IMG_1876.jpg

Lack of wear could mean it was well taken care of . The old machinist learned to take care of ther machinery while serving there apprenticeship . I don't even know if anyone does that anymore . I think our nation is going to crumble if we don't start taking a stand to stop it . Sorry pet peeve . Now let's get this baby cleaned up. Fix what needs doin and show it off. Hey the old drill vise on the floor lets get it up and cleaned too.

Could be well taken care of but I found a DND number stamped into the adjustable gib on the ram. Department of National Defence I would expect only used it for maintenance and probably very little of that. The last owner only used it to cut keyways, evident from the paint on either side to the table support. Doesn't look like the table ever moved.
The drill press vice gets used often, No rust just not painted. Its actually back on the press, was using it today.

Greg

Would the original colour be a real dark grey then, Greg? If you're thinking of matching it, Para "Meltdown" should be a pretty close facsimile.

-frank

Can't tell what the original colour was. Started stripping it, there's a lighter blue under the top coat and in the odd place a bit of lime green. They used some sort of filler to smooth the castings, dark grey graphite looking material. Thick and chipped in places.
Have some lighter grey automotive enamel left over from painting the lathe. May use that if it looks like there is enough.

Greg

Back