A Project Quest

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
That's correct, a quest, not a request.

Mark F and myself have decided to do a project together. What we wish to do will be announced at a later date.

Here is the quest, we are looking for some who can Plasma Cut parts for us. The largest part will come from sheet steel measuring 24x24 inches and .250 thick. Three parts are what we need. If this person is you contact me via PM.

We will try to accomplish this project without outsourcing any where but on this Forum. Only the metal itself will have to come from outside.

If there are any other skills you think we might be able to utilize PM Mark or myself.

"Billy G and Mark F"

I'd be glad to help you out Bill, but cross border shipping will be a killer. If no one closer steps up let me know.

Greg

For me , it is an honor to do this project with Bill Gruby. I believe it will be a great learning experience and hope everyone on this forum will join us in this adventure. I know many will find it interesting and hopefully everyone will gain some knowledge along the way.

I'd be glad to help you out Bill, but cross border shipping will be a killer. If no one closer steps up let me know.

Greg

Thank you Greg. Mark and I have two choices in this, Plasma Cut or Water Cut. We will keep you in mind on the Plasma Cutting. As was said in the first post, we would like to keep all the work outsourcing kept on this Forum.

Mark, the honor is mine, together we have over 90 years experience. I have 46 alone. This promises to be more than an adventure, It's a journey. I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Billy G"

Go back to the year 2006, HSM magazine ran a build for a surface grinder for 3 issues . It started with May/June. Well folks it was a splendid piece of work but lacked a few fineries. One gent over at PM asked about building one and was tared and featherd and run out of Dodge on a rail. The mob over there really beat him up. Now it's time to show the X-SPURTS over there what real machinists can do.

I asked Mark a week or so ago if he wouldn't mind collaborating with me on this one.

Stand by people I have the redesign almost done. I will get the magazine prints and text to Mark this week. I will build a mock of the new design from my prints and if all is as it should be Mark will get the redesign in a week after that.

The new design is bigger and in my opinion easier to build.

"Billy G and Mark"

Last edited by a moderator:
This does sound like it will be a fun build to keep track of.

At first blush I thought "neat mystery project".

After some reflection it sank in that here are two experienced machinists that, I don't think are geographically close, are bonding to take on a project that I am sure will be a great learning experience for all of us.

And somehow this re-enforced the inclusive mission of this site. I just wish that with my limited experience I could be a part of the project. To learn and more important to bond and make new friends.

Looking forward to it.

David

At first blush I thought "neat mystery project".

After some reflection it sank in that here are two experienced machinists that, I don't think are geographically close, are bonding to take on a project that I am sure will be a great learning experience for all of us.

And somehow this re-enforced the inclusive mission of this site. I just wish that with my limited experience I could be a part of the project. To learn and more important to bond and make new friends.

Looking forward to it.

David
Bill and I are about nine hours drive from each other. USPS will be our friend. I did not even hesitate to jump on this project when Bill called and asked me about it. I think it will be a great learning experience for EVERYONE and hope everyone regardless of experience will get involved somehow even if just to share an idea. One of you out there may see something Bill and I don't and we want your feedback and opinions. One of you out there may have a talent we need.

Mark and I live 450 miles from each other. With your post, David, you already are a part of it.

"Billy G"

Really neat idea guys. Watching with interest. I have always wondered about surface grinders since I have never owned or used one. What are they primarily used for? For what specific applications would I need one in my home shop? Let me know if you need a 15 amp ON/Of switch ;)
R

Back