A Project Quest

Yes, the flash killed the pic. It was only done to try to post a pic. I just added the file to the new computer. They will be better from here to the end of this project.

"Bill"

QUESTION TO BE ANSWERED BY ALL PLEASE

What is the largest piece in height (thickness) would you think we would grind at home? I want to finalize the upright frame prints this weekend. I need to figure their height. I will average all the inputs by all of you and go with the average. Thank you.

"Bill"
I have absolutely zero experience to base anything on, but more capacity is generally better in my book. I would say 10-12" between a brand new wheel and the chuck surface would be pretty good allowance for a part and any required fixture/s.

I would say , based on my little 6" sanford,
10"- 12" would be awesome.
Will you be using hardened ways?
ome

I think 6" is high enough. I get a little skittish stacking things much higher. I have had a setup move on me once. threw all the parts and setup out the back and the 12" wheel exploded right in front of me:eek:. I wouldn't go near that machine for three months and needed new underwear.

A little higher would be nice just to be able to get the wheel out of the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,
I know that feeling. I had about 50 pieces on a blanchard grinder once when the magnet let go. It sounded like a machine gun going off when all the parts flew into the guards. I just hit the floor until the noise stopped.

Tuesday I get another cast on my leg. The new one is supposed to give me more mobility. If it does we will start rolling on this project again. Sorry for the delay.

"Billy G"

OK, not project related, but "cast"? I must have missed something. I hope all is well.

I broke my right ankle a while back. Needed 4 pins the reset it. It is far from healed but mending OK. Will know more Tuesday.

"Billy G"

Bill one of the nice things depending on software on the computer you can clean up the pic, and rotate then as needed etc.
Hope all goes well on Tuesday. I know how broken bones can be. Last time I broke my foot they put me in a wheel chair.
Project, I have not used a surface grinder like this but I would say 10 to 12 clearance, One that lets you get parts in and out, and raise it up to change wheels as needed without removing the work if needed.

Back