• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

A question about steel rules.

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Machdaddy

Iron
Registered Member
While digging around the dark recesses of my seldom used tool stash, I ran across an unusual Starrett rule. It reads in 10ths 12ths 14ths! and 16ths. None of my colleagues remember seeing one before, and I'm curious as to its purpose. I figure the 12ths may be an architectural standard, but what about the 14ths?
Any insight will be appreciated
Dean

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Could be a shrink scale . I have a few . Modelmakers and moldmakers used to use them .

Last edited:

benmychree

John York
All my shrink rules have graduations in the regular 4R style, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 they are just longer than a standard rule. Also have a rule with 10ths and 100 ths, and 1/16ths and 1/32nds. what is the catalog number on the scale?

Machdaddy

Iron
Registered Member
That's it! Except mine is 12" (or at least 10") and predates the satin chrome finish which seems to be all the rage right now...

benmychree

John York
Satin chrome is all the rage, because it does not rust or stain, has no glare and the grads stand out better than the polished steel finish.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Satin chrome has been used on scales for at least several decades now, and has been well accepted. It does cost more, but is well worth the cost, especially for tired old eyes.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Alright, I have a plethora of scales, from shop scales to drafting machine scales to printing and graphics scales, and I have never seen one with those graduations. 12ths, 24ths, 48ths; 14ths, and 28ths - I am stumped...

RJSakowski

According to Starrett, "#1 pattern has 12 different grads ., many that are not found on usual rules .
This allows the rule to be used for various purposes like laying out and cutting gear teeth (not generally used today)".

francist

Active User
This is intriguing. I ran into two references using fourteenth of an inch, both are excerpts from old books.

The first, from 1828 Franklin Journal and American Mechanics Magazine, uses it in the context of "... twelfth or fourteenth of an inch in thickness..."
The second, from somewhat later 1847 A Treatise on the Steam Engine, in the context of scale as in "...Scale three fourteenths inch -- (per) foot..."

Perhaps just an archaic method before more standardized systems? Use whatever you want if it's convenient, type thing. Much like thread pitches before the standards came in to general use?

-frank

benmychree

John York
I looked in Starrett, Lufkin, and B&S catalogs, they all list the #1 graduation, but nothing about what they are for.

Bob Korves

Pre vernier measuring system. Instead of vernier, check multiple scale increments until one lines up nicely. (???)

TerryWerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Printer's scale does make sense, two of the most common type sizes were 14 and 16 characters per inch.

Silverbullet

I guess it goes with 14-40 14-36 14-28 all old threads we use to use . I have lots of different taps , dies . And I'm sure I have a scale or two with odd sizes on them. Shrink rules ,of no use anymore but there from my past .

dlane

Active User
Shrinking scale ?. If it shrinks I wouldn’t trust it

benmychree

John York
Shrinking scale ?. If it shrinks I wouldn’t trust it
Is your post tongue in cheek? Shrink rules are used by patternmakers to make foundry patterns to allow for the shrinkage of the metal after pouring. They are made in many ratios of shrinkage, called out in fractions of an inch per foot of length.

hman

Active User
No idea about 14ths ...

but I do have a framing squares that has a couple of scales in 12ths. I assume it's for scaling inches to feet. Roof pitch is usually specified as "X 12ths."

uncle harry

Active User
Is your post tongue in cheek? Shrink rules are used by patternmakers to make foundry patterns to allow for the shrinkage of the metal after pouring. They are made in many ratios of shrinkage, called out in fractions of an inch per foot of length.
Shrink rules were also used in making thermo-forming dies for vacuum and pressure forming sheet plastics.

Nick spanners

Iron
Registered Member
While digging around the dark recesses of my seldom used tool stash, I ran across an unusual Starrett rule. It reads in 10ths 12ths 14ths! and 16ths. None of my colleagues remember seeing one before, and I'm curious as to its purpose. I figure the 12ths may be an architectural standard, but what about the 14ths?
Any insight will be appreciated
Dean
Hi, I first thought it was a scale ruler,,,,,,,,but no
My best guess is; it just gives the user the option to split an inch into different divisions.
Cheers

firestopper

I have one 12"long with the same graduations. I use it for sheet metal bending alliances. I have to use an eye magnifier.:(

[6]
[5] [7]