A question about steel rules.

Machdaddy

Registered
Registered
While digging around the dark recesses of my seldom used tool stash, I ran across an unusual Starrett rule. It reads in 10ths 12ths 14ths! and 16ths. None of my colleagues remember seeing one before, and I'm curious as to its purpose. I figure the 12ths may be an architectural standard, but what about the 14ths?
Any insight will be appreciated
Dean

Could be a shrink scale . I have a few . Modelmakers and moldmakers used to use them .

Last edited:
All my shrink rules have graduations in the regular 4R style, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 they are just longer than a standard rule. Also have a rule with 10ths and 100 ths, and 1/16ths and 1/32nds. what is the catalog number on the scale?

That's it! Except mine is 12" (or at least 10") and predates the satin chrome finish which seems to be all the rage right now...

Satin chrome is all the rage, because it does not rust or stain, has no glare and the grads stand out better than the polished steel finish.

Satin chrome has been used on scales for at least several decades now, and has been well accepted. It does cost more, but is well worth the cost, especially for tired old eyes.

Alright, I have a plethora of scales, from shop scales to drafting machine scales to printing and graphics scales, and I have never seen one with those graduations. 12ths, 24ths, 48ths; 14ths, and 28ths - I am stumped...

According to Starrett, "#1 pattern has 12 different grads ., many that are not found on usual rules .
This allows the rule to be used for various purposes like laying out and cutting gear teeth (not generally used today)".

Back