A question about steel rules.

This is intriguing. I ran into two references using fourteenth of an inch, both are excerpts from old books.

The first, from 1828 Franklin Journal and American Mechanics Magazine, uses it in the context of "... twelfth or fourteenth of an inch in thickness..."
The second, from somewhat later 1847 A Treatise on the Steam Engine, in the context of scale as in "...Scale three fourteenths inch -- (per) foot..."

Perhaps just an archaic method before more standardized systems? Use whatever you want if it's convenient, type thing. Much like thread pitches before the standards came in to general use?

-frank

I looked in Starrett, Lufkin, and B&S catalogs, they all list the #1 graduation, but nothing about what they are for.

Pre vernier measuring system. Instead of vernier, check multiple scale increments until one lines up nicely. (???)

Printer's scale does make sense, two of the most common type sizes were 14 and 16 characters per inch.

I guess it goes with 14-40 14-36 14-28 all old threads we use to use . I have lots of different taps , dies . And I'm sure I have a scale or two with odd sizes on them. Shrink rules ,of no use anymore but there from my past .

Shrinking scale ?. If it shrinks I wouldn’t trust it

Shrinking scale ?. If it shrinks I wouldn’t trust it
Is your post tongue in cheek? Shrink rules are used by patternmakers to make foundry patterns to allow for the shrinkage of the metal after pouring. They are made in many ratios of shrinkage, called out in fractions of an inch per foot of length.

No idea about 14ths ...

but I do have a framing squares that has a couple of scales in 12ths. I assume it's for scaling inches to feet. Roof pitch is usually specified as "X 12ths."

Back