A question concerning site policy

markba633csi

Mark Silva
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does this site have any specific rules about cross-posting (asking the same question on more than one site within a certain time frame)?
It seems some sites are pretty restrictive that way- it's considered "spam" of some kind. Kinda puzzling to me.
Mark

Crossposting on more than one site, well no one can really set a rule against that, it's you choice & you are free to post on what ever site/forum you want.

Now as far as cross posting duplicate threads on the same site/forum in multiple sections, as far as I know we don't actually have a rule against it but generally it is not proper etiquette & frowned upon many forums. It clutters up the forum, is not fair to others, and can cause confusion. We've never really had a proplem with cross posting here so there was no need to set a rule.

Not sure how the owner of the forum feels about it but me personally I agree with most forums & don't like it either. In the past when we've had crossposting & both threads generated a considerable amount of replies we have merged the threads.

Multiple postings on the same site, sure I can understand the issue with that. But an admin monitoring sites other than his own for duplicate posts and then issuing a warning to the poster about it? (happened to me, but not a machinist-related site)
Seems just wrong to me. Too big brother-ish.
M

If that happened to me I would tell said admin. where to stick it, and not waste my time using
that site any more, what you post on another site ain't his friggin bizness ...............................

Multiple postings on the same site, sure I can understand the issue with that. But an admin monitoring sites other than his own for duplicate posts and then issuing a warning to the poster about it? (happened to me, but not a machinist-related site)
M

Wow, I've never heard of that happening before. That is wrong. If I may ask, was it related to this site?

If the same question is cross posted in two different forums on this site, the staff may elect to merge the posts. It does get confusing when there are two threads and there are answers in both.

If you choose to post anything on another site, that is your business.

If you use these Forum discussions to find out information, ask a question or for an opinion, it seems OK to me to ask more than one group.

The site in question was a site for high end "beverages" and the equipment for producing them.
The reason given for the no cross posting is that many of the same people visit both site A and site B. Seeing the same question on both sites within a short period of time would be seen as "spam" by some of those people. I don't see that, but it's site A's policy. Just seems creepy to me.
I know that there is a lot of snobbishness on that type of site, maybe unspoken, but it's there. Thankfully not here.
Mark

Last edited:
M

I experienced something similar on a computer forum. I had posted the same question on several different computer forums, (totally unrelated web sites). Someone noticed that I had done that and reported it and I was chastized for it and warned not to do it.

I totally agree with you, it's none of their business. Moreover, I like to do that because I often get different advice from the different site. In fact, in this particular incident the site that warned me against posting the same question on other web sites told me that what I wanted to do was impossible. Yet, someone responded on another web site telling me exactly how I could solve my problem.

So it pays to post around. Especially if the site in question is telling you that it's impossible to do something when there's actually a really nice solution out there that they apparently aren't even aware of.

Let them kick me off their site if they want. Apparently it wasn't very useful anyway. I'd be better off with the site that gave me an actual solution. :grin:

Back