A Rather Old Drill Press

I would really like to rummage around on that property, I'll bet there's stuff that dates back to the gold rush.

I believe it’s called a camelback drill press. That’s not a brand name, but it’ll send you down an internet rabbit hole. They’ve got fans.

Not all line shaft shops are gone here is one use by a master blacksmith that runs every week1
Check it out sandersoniron.com
The whole shop is run with a 15 horse oil field engine lights, compressed air

View attachment 291838View attachment 291837
View attachment 291839
Yup, one of my favorite YouTube channel is David Richards Old Steampowered Machineshop. He has one of those camelback drill presses, two lathes, hacksaw, shaper and other stuff I can't remember. All except one machine is what you'd find in a 1921 machine shop and he takes in work all the time. At first the whole shop was run off a 5hp steam engine. Now I think he's got a big ol 40hp hooked up. His plans for this year are to add a big planer he found. Man is that shop tight with machines and belts going everywhere. It's facinating on many levels, steam, line drives, old iron and older simpler way of doing things. There's been several times when several of the machines are going at once, all with one guy.

It looks complete and the power feeds there. I bet in its condition a few hours work it would be drilling again. I'd love to have it .

Funny, did a sweep of CL and there's a camelback in Modesto, one in Manteca, both already with motors. One is $400, the other $500 and neither looks rusty like the one in Creston. There's 2-3 in LA, one all spiffy for $1600! CL is lousy with camel backs right now!

Back