• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

A ROYAL PAIN

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

RIMSPOKE

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
MY MAXIMAT SUPER 11 LATHE HAS THE FACTORY OPTION ROYAL COLLET CLOSER .
THESE ARE GREAT TO HAVE BUT JUST DON'T HAVE THE REFINEMENT & BALANCE OF THE HARDINGE VERSION .

MY ROYAL WOULD SHAKE AT HIGH SPEED . THIS SEEMS TO BE DUE TO WEIGHT OF THE HANDLE ON ONE SIDE
OF THE BEARING AND NOTHING ON THE OTHER .

MY SOLUTION IS A COUNTER WEIGHT TO OFFSET THE HANDLE .
I MADE THE WEIGHT FROM BRASS WITH ALUMINUM BRACKETS .

IT WAS MADE TOO HEAVY AT FIRST AND THEN FACED OFF UNTIL BALANCED .
IT IS HELD ON WITH THE STOCK PIN . A SINGLE BOLT HOLDS IT TOGETHER .

THE LATHE RUNS MUCH SMOOTHER AT SPEED NOW .

DSC_0232.JPG DSC_0233.JPG DSC_0234.JPG DSC_0235.JPG

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
That looks to be a good solution. I have often wondered how many collet closers had that same issue.

[6]
[5] [7]