A Scribe And Indicator Base

I finished the base for use on my granite surface plate.
image.jpeg I put a reamed hole in a steel block to hold the push pins square while I ground them.

image.jpeg All four push pins are installed.

image.jpeg I drilled pockets to hold the spring.

image.jpeg The spring is installed. It is the stiffest one I could find. I think it will work just fine. ( the indicator won't overcome it). It is pretty stiff.

image.jpeg Here is the finished base. I will make adapters for the indicators and for a scribe.

image.jpeg Here it is on the granite plate. The mirror finish lets it slide really easy.

I'm going to repeat one more time. With proper use , there is no danger of any damage to the granite plate. I am perfectly satisfied with this project.

The brand name indicator bases, (Starret, Lufkin) such as you are making, Mark, are case hardened, not sure of the material, but they have the beautiful colors from case hardening on them.

This is a luxury I don't have. However , since this base will only be used on the granite plate I don't see this as a problem. If miss handled or maybe if dropped or something the base could get nicked or damaged. But then, I try to take good care of my tools.

I have to admit most of my name brand tools came through local auctions. When working for a living the best I could afford were Mitotoyu and Federal.

Mark, turn a ball on the end of the rod. With the spherical end of the rod inside the groove of the base, you can use it as a squareness comparator. No need for a loose ball bearing.

Excellent work Mark!
perhaps you could scrape the base of the surface gauge.

i'd be proud to scrape it in for you, if you'd consider the proposition or idea.

Mark, turn a ball on the end of the rod. With the spherical end of the rod inside the groove of the base, you can use it as a squareness comparator. No need for a loose ball bearing.
I have seen a ball on the end of some rods, but I don't quite understand what you mean.

Excellent work Mark!
perhaps you could scrape the base of the surface gauge.

i'd be proud to scrape it in for you, if you'd consider the proposition or idea.
Actually, I did scrape it at first, but I didn't like the way it would slide on the granite, so I then polished it by using my granite plate. the paper I buy has a tacky film on the back to keep it from sliding when placed on a very smooth surface. I put a sheet of paper on my surface plate and polished down to a 1200 grit leaving a mirror finish. It slides way better and smoother now on the plate and is as perfectly flat as possible (in this environment). I was thinking of maybe scraping the top just for looks.

Mark, what purpose do the push pins serve? I always see them, just don't know the reason they are there.

Thanks for an explanation!!

Mark, what purpose do the push pins serve? I always see them, just don't know the reason they are there.

Thanks for an explanation!!

You push two of the pins down and they are a guide to follow an edge to scribe a line or move an indicator along the edge of something.

Back