A Sheldon M series 13" lathe with unusual vari-speed underdrive - "the walking stick drive"

Pacer

Active User
Registered
This mostly just for informational purposes when someone is seeking info on the "M" series of Sheldon lathes.

I finished the work this lathe in Aug 2012 after an extensive rework throughout. During this time I found this particular type of underdrive was quite rare and there fore getting info on it was difficult to impossible.

It is referred to as a "walking stick" under drive (for obvious reasons) I never found out if it had a 'real' name'. It was the predecessor to the Merkle Korff gearmotor version which is more common.

I contacted Tony at - http://www.lathes.co.uk/index.html - asking if he wanted to include it in this fantastic web site due to its rarity - he was very receptive to this and I proceeded to get some pics ready to post. He promptly got the lathe pic listed under his Sheldon section...

http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/page8.html

Also a link to my Photobucket with more pics of the lathe

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/pace1980/Sheldon 13x36 lathe/

If someone comes across these pics and have questions that I might help with, feel free to contact me with a PM.

Sheldonfinished005.jpg
Walkingstickdrive.jpg

Sheldonfinished005.jpg

Walkingstickdrive.jpg

That color/paint is "Ford tractor gray" from TSC (Tractor Service Supply). Aside from it being an equipment grade paint, comes in quarts and also comes in a spray can which can be awful handy to touch up those nicks/scratches when re-assembling - and later.

At first I was a bit disappointed thinking the color was too light (some of my friends asked if it was an off white!) but as time has gone on, I have come to really like it and will probably use it again if I do another machine.

You may not have TSC in Canada, but asking for Ford tractor gray should do it... (probably no longer a Ford tractor color, it was on old tractors)

Nice build on the Sheldon Pacer its almost to pretty to use.

Paul

do you use that in the kitchen:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
putting the first scratch on that would be like wrecking my new car
very nice
steve

A little info on Ford grey that there are two Ford colors I found out the hard way that I bought from
local TSC It looked more white than grey. Then I found My 1949 Ford should be dark grey kind of like
there is a little blue in it. So I got this at a local tractor dealer that sells those new boomers that are
the same color. You can google Boomer tractor or New Holland Boomer for this shade of grey.

Nice! I have a 10" Sheldon I am breaking down right now for a repaint/cleanup. It's an E drive though...a little more popular and less complicated. That being said, I will probably not disassemble the underdrive....just pull it and pressure wash the bed and pedestal. I have all the other parts removed and stripped/degreased in Purple Power.

Having worked with a few South Bends, I prefer the way Sheldons are put together. It makes a little more sense and there is less cursing involved, i.e. no taper pins or parts requiring a gear puller. Mine also has "button oiler" holes, which is a nice feature.

Thanks for the tip on the paint....I was going to go with gloss white, but I may use the Tractor Gray just because I have other shades of gray in the shop....and, I can vouch for the quality of the paint...it flows well if properly conditioned and works very nicely with the hardener.

A little info on Ford grey that there are two Ford colors I found out the hard way that I bought from
local TSC It looked more white than grey. Then I found My 1949 Ford should be dark grey kind of like
there is a little blue in it. So I got this at a local tractor dealer that sells those new boomers that are
the same color. You can google Boomer tractor or New Holland Boomer for this shade of grey.

I think there is Light Ford Gray, and also Massey Ferguson Gray, which is a lot darker. TSC sells both Majik and their own rebranded Tractor and Implement Paint, which is made by Valspar. I used the Valspar myself and it was good stuff.

Back