A simple and effective VFD EMI filter

petcnc

Active User
Registered
When I bought my new (to me) SLOTTA lathe the first thing I have put on it was a Varible Frequency Drive (VFD) to have variable speed.

ssP9222749.jpg
It is a cheap Chinese VFD that proved to do the job without any problems.

ssP1012903.jpg

When I am in the shop I do some machining or electronics work or I browse the internet looking for something. I never do two of them at the same time. So I never noticed that whenever my lathe works the internet connection is down. Of course whenever you miss something your other half notices it and informs you instantly. To cut the story short, whenever the inverter was working there was no internet in the house! I had to either work on my minilathe or use the VFD when no one was around!
I decided to tackle the problem asap as I needed my lathe and the rest of the gang needed the internet connection.

Doing some research on the matter I found out that this is a very common problem that EVERY vfd causes!

Electromagnetic interference (EMI), also called electrical noise, is the unwanted signals generated by electrical & electronic equipment. EMI VFD problems range from corrupted data transmission to electric motor drive damage. Modern VFDs using IGBT switches for motor frequency control are very efficient because of their high switching speed. Unfortunately the high-speed switching also results in much higher EMI being generated. All VFD manufacturers detail installation procedures that must be followed in order to prevent excessive noise on both sides of the VFD.

From recognizing a problem to find a solution usually, there is some distance!

The first thing I thought was that there was no need to “reinvent the wheel” as there are plenty of filters to nearly every electrical appliance. So the first filter donor was an old computer PSU.

ssP1012887.jpg
The filter was connected between power line and the VFD but proved to be inadequate for the job. The internet went down when the VFD started.
I thought that the filter was small and I used a larger one (size matters here as well?)

ss1P1012887.jpg
Results were disappointing again!
I even used a filter from a microwave oven that looked promising

ssP1012889.jpg

I also screened the output cable by putting it through a metallic shield that was grounded at both ends.

ssP1012885.jpg

No results either! VFD ON internet OFF!!!

I decided to approach the problem in a more systematic way!

First of all I needed to “see” what happened to the power line when the VFD was ON.
I used my oscilloscope that I connected to the power cable and the VFD output by winding a 9 turns of wire around each cable to make a “current transformer”. As I cannot measure the current directly, I measure the voltage so I have the coil connected to a 1k resistor (burden resistor) and measure the voltage across it. The scope takes the voltage measurement across the resistor that caused by the current induced to the 9 turns of wire I have wrapped around the power cable.

ssP1012884.jpg

I made exactly the same configuration to the cable that goes from the VFD to motor so that the 2 channel scope could read both of them at the same time

ssP1012873.jpg
In case you are wondering, the 50 HZ signals from the grid that goes to the VFD by the live wire are going back to the grid by the neuter wire cancelling each other so they do not leave a trace on the scope.

The screen of the scope when the VFD was ON showed what happened

ssP1012899.jpg

You can see all kinds of noise picked up by the coil. There is noise (more than 1 Volt) on both ends of the VFD, to the 230V input (yellow) and to the motor output (blue).

Next, to eliminate the noise, I tried a filter from a broken Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) system that works on a similar way (like the VFDs) using transistors to switch ON and OFF in very high speeds.

ssP1012892.jpg
I connected it to the input of the VFD and tested it with the scope.

ssP1012901.jpg
The results were also disappointing

ssP1012900.jpg
The noise levels although were 50% lower (around 0.6 Volts) the internet kept switching OFF when VFD was ON.

MORE RESEARCH FOR A SOLUTION

In industry, they sell ferrite toroidal coils for that purpose, they give some simple instructions on how to wind some wires around it to make a filter and they claim that the interference will go.

Single Phase use.jpg

The principle of operation of these in very simple terms is as follows:

For 4 turns of wire at frequencies up to 100 kHz the inductance is around 200uH then as the frequency increases the inductance drops to very low values (practically 0)
At very low frequency (0 to 400 Hz is the produced frequency of the VFD for the motor) there is very little impedance (resistance) so signals flow right through the coil (as if it was a straight piece of wire). As the frequency goes higher so does the impedance! That is as the frequency goes higher the coil blocks more and more of these higher frequencies.

A very common size of these coils is 2.5x1.5x1" that you can get easily at your side of the pond but on this side the only place I found something similar was through eBay in next door Bulgaria, it will be in my doorstep in 25 to 40 days though!!

Until then I had to use whatever I had in the electronic parts bin. I found some smaller toroids and run the wires through them or wind some wires around them.

ssP1012881.jpg
As I expected the effects of them were negligible.

More research on how to use small ferrites for a big result enlightened me a little:

“Wrapping a wire once around multiple cores is equivalent to wrapping a wire multiple times around one core. If possible try to attain at least one wrap from each phase around the stack of cores.”

Aha! there is some hope! A different approach now!

ssP1012913.jpg
A few turns around 3 different toroids and a twist between the wires with an extra ferrite around the twist gave me a new filter for testing.

ss88P1012878.jpg
At last some good results!
This simple filter managed to reduce the noise by 90%
Amazingly the output noise was reduced by 60% also.
The most important result was that the internet was not affected any more by the VFD! We are in the right track.

I could have stopped here and consider the problem solved but...
We always try to make things better! No?

Next step was to "upgrade" the filter by adding a small filtered connector to it as well.

ssP1012888.jpg

Naturally putting it in a metallic box and having connections at both ends completed it.
An old power supply box from an Apple Macintosh provided the boxing essentials.

ssP1012917.jpg

Proper grounding of the box and isolation of the coils from the metal surrounding finished the filter.
Then testing it "in situ"

ssP1012927.jpg

The results now were just AMAZING!

ss24P1012922.jpg

The noise at the input (power cable side) was reduced by 97% (from 900mV to 24mV).
In the output (motor cable side) the noise went down more than 90% (from 1006mV to 84mV).

I will test the output side with the eBay ferrite toroids (when they arrive) to see if I can reduce the output noise further.

Thanks for reading

Petros

As I read the OP's post, I wondered how long it would take him to "discover" toroids - a friend of ham radio operators for years!

Petros,

Thanks for sharing your investigation and results!

A few questions:

1) Did you see the noise frequency change with VFD frequency?
2) Were the internet outages only at certain motor speeds?
3) Was this only affecting WiFi (radiated noise) or was it also affecting wired LAN connections (conducted noise)?

Thanks,
-brino

Your instrumenting this with a home built current transformer is inspirational.=!
So your seeing 10Khz noise on your scope, that must be the VFD PWM frequency. I doubt if this would get better or worse if you change your carrier frequency, assuming your VFD lets you change this. As the edge rate is fixed by the IGBT design.
Very nice fix. Capacitors to ground and differential could improve this, but they need to be rated for this use, so you don't have faults. And you made is work without them, so no leakage path to ground.

When I bought my new (to me) SLOTTA lathe the first thing I have put on it was a Varible Frequency Drive (VFD) to have variable speed.

View attachment 349154
It is a cheap Chinese VFD that proved to do the job without any problems.

View attachment 349155

When I am in the shop I do some machining or electronics work or I browse the internet looking for something. I never do two of them at the same time. So I never noticed that whenever my lathe works the internet connection is down. Of course whenever you miss something your other half notices it and informs you instantly. To cut the story short, whenever the inverter was working there was no internet in the house! I had to either work on my minilathe or use the VFD when no one was around!
I decided to tackle the problem asap as I needed my lathe and the rest of the gang needed the internet connection.

Doing some research on the matter I found out that this is a very common problem that EVERY vfd causes!

Electromagnetic interference (EMI), also called electrical noise, is the unwanted signals generated by electrical & electronic equipment. EMI VFD problems range from corrupted data transmission to electric motor drive damage. Modern VFDs using IGBT switches for motor frequency control are very efficient because of their high switching speed. Unfortunately the high-speed switching also results in much higher EMI being generated. All VFD manufacturers detail installation procedures that must be followed in order to prevent excessive noise on both sides of the VFD.

From recognizing a problem to find a solution usually, there is some distance!

The first thing I thought was that there was no need to “reinvent the wheel” as there are plenty of filters to nearly every electrical appliance. So the first filter donor was an old computer PSU.

View attachment 349156
The filter was connected between power line and the VFD but proved to be inadequate for the job. The internet went down when the VFD started.
I thought that the filter was small and I used a larger one (size matters here as well?)

View attachment 349157
Results were disappointing again!
I even used a filter from a microwave oven that looked promising

View attachment 349158

I also screened the output cable by putting it through a metallic shield that was grounded at both ends.

View attachment 349159

No results either! VFD ON internet OFF!!!

I decided to approach the problem in a more systematic way!

First of all I needed to “see” what happened to the power line when the VFD was ON.
I used my oscilloscope that I connected to the power cable and the VFD output by winding a 9 turns of wire around each cable to make a “current transformer”. As I cannot measure the current directly, I measure the voltage so I have the coil connected to a 1k resistor (burden resistor) and measure the voltage across it. The scope takes the voltage measurement across the resistor that caused by the current induced to the 9 turns of wire I have wrapped around the power cable.

View attachment 349160

I made exactly the same configuration to the cable that goes from the VFD to motor so that the 2 channel scope could read both of them at the same time

View attachment 349161
In case you are wondering, the 50 HZ signals from the grid that goes to the VFD by the live wire are going back to the grid by the neuter wire cancelling each other so they do not leave a trace on the scope.

The screen of the scope when the VFD was ON showed what happened

View attachment 349162

You can see all kinds of noise picked up by the coil. There is noise (more than 1 Volt) on both ends of the VFD, to the 230V input (yellow) and to the motor output (blue).

Next, to eliminate the noise, I tried a filter from a broken Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) system that works on a similar way (like the VFDs) using transistors to switch ON and OFF in very high speeds.

View attachment 349163
I connected it to the input of the VFD and tested it with the scope.

View attachment 349164
The results were also disappointing

View attachment 349165
The noise levels although were 50% lower (around 0.6 Volts) the internet kept switching OFF when VFD was ON.

MORE RESEARCH FOR A SOLUTION

In industry, they sell ferrite toroidal coils for that purpose, they give some simple instructions on how to wind some wires around it to make a filter and they claim that the interference will go.

View attachment 349166

The principle of operation of these in very simple terms is as follows:

For 4 turns of wire at frequencies up to 100 kHz the inductance is around 200uH then as the frequency increases the inductance drops to very low values (practically 0)
At very low frequency (0 to 400 Hz is the produced frequency of the VFD for the motor) there is very little impedance (resistance) so signals flow right through the coil (as if it was a straight piece of wire). As the frequency goes higher so does the impedance! That is as the frequency goes higher the coil blocks more and more of these higher frequencies.

A very common size of these coils is 2.5x1.5x1" that you can get easily at your side of the pond but on this side the only place I found something similar was through eBay in next door Bulgaria, it will be in my doorstep in 25 to 40 days though!!

Until then I had to use whatever I had in the electronic parts bin. I found some smaller toroids and run the wires through them or wind some wires around them.

View attachment 349167
As I expected the effects of them were negligible.

More research on how to use small ferrites for a big result enlightened me a little:

“Wrapping a wire once around multiple cores is equivalent to wrapping a wire multiple times around one core. If possible try to attain at least one wrap from each phase around the stack of cores.”

Aha! there is some hope! A different approach now!

View attachment 349168
A few turns around 3 different toroids and a twist between the wires with an extra ferrite around the twist gave me a new filter for testing.

View attachment 349169
At last some good results!
This simple filter managed to reduce the noise by 90%
Amazingly the output noise was reduced by 60% also.
The most important result was that the internet was not affected any more by the VFD! We are in the right track.

I could have stopped here and consider the problem solved but...
We always try to make things better! No?

Next step was to "upgrade" the filter by adding a small filtered connector to it as well.

View attachment 349170

Naturally putting it in a metallic box and having connections at both ends completed it.
An old power supply box from an Apple Macintosh provided the boxing essentials.

View attachment 349171

Proper grounding of the box and isolation of the coils from the metal surrounding finished the filter.
Then testing it "in situ"

View attachment 349172

The results now were just AMAZING!

View attachment 349173

The noise at the input (power cable side) was reduced by 97% (from 900mV to 24mV).
In the output (motor cable side) the noise went down more than 90% (from 1006mV to 84mV).

I will test the output side with the eBay ferrite toroids (when they arrive) to see if I can reduce the output noise further.

Thanks for reading

Petros

Although not specifically VFD related, we had an interference problem at the corporate offices where my R & D lab was. We were using a tesla coil with had a motor driven spark gap to polarize polyethylene cases to accept decals. As it happened, the spark gap was operating at a sub-frequency of the phone system which was located in the lab. It took the phone company 3 days to find the problem.

Petros,

Thanks for sharing your investigation and results!

A few questions:

1) Did you see the noise frequency change with VFD frequency?
2) Were the internet outages only at certain motor speeds?
3) Was this only affecting WiFi (radiated noise) or was it also affecting wired LAN connections (conducted noise)?

Thanks,
-brino

Brino Hi
1) The change of the noise in relation to VFD frequency was negligible, (some milivolts).
2) As long as the VFD started the motor the internet was going down and remained disconnected for the whole range of speeds ! I could not see any relations to the speed of the motor.
3) It was affecting the router so there was no LAN or wifi!

Capacitors to ground and differential could improve this, but they need to be rated for this use, so you don't have faults. And you made is work without them, so no leakage path to ground.

I suspect that the better final results were related to the capacitors the filtered socket has: 1 capacitor 0.1 uF and 2 caps 2200pF
ssFILTER.jpg
What puzzles me is the fact that all filters I had tested initialy were giving very poor results. To be honest I was expecting to solve the problem once for good using the filtre ftom the UPS unit!

It seems that the combination of the 3 ferrite toroids was just right for the high frequencies produced by the VFD.

As I read the OP's post, I wondered how long it would take him to "discover" toroids - a friend of ham radio operators for years!
Necessity is the mother of invention!
As there was no need to cure interference problems one never plays with toroids. As you noticed I had some in a drawer "just in case" though!!!
Of course I did not invent the wheel here! There are some guys that make very detailed approaches to the matter (Clough42 in YouTube, turneraudio.com.au, lampizator.eu and many others)

Last edited:
Back