A sloppy RF-45 mill/drill

That's a good point RJ, I was wondering that myself. Do you think this spring method is confined to benchtop CNC or is it also present in big boy machines (with appropriate spring sizing).

Downwind, I think the role of the pins is to allow the 2 nuts to float axially but not allow rotation between then, which would defeat the anti-backlash setting. Its kind of the same principle as the slit nut concept with jack screws to open the one nut side up relative to the other. But in that mode they share a common base where the slit doesn't separate them completely. Technically I think they open up with an axial component but also a bit of hinged action to it (not in a perpendicular plane to leadscrew if that makes sense). A little bit cheesy but they are used extensively in the imports.

I got a reply back, tomorrow I'll get the price. He has to figure it out.
I hope the price & delivery works out for you. Sounds like it is a newer machine than my ex RF-45. That vintage is getting to be slim pickins in the parts department. Modern Tool in Calgary did me a huge favor & located some parts for my same vintage 14x40 lathe. And it was significantly lower cost than another vendor. Might have something to do with their ongoing business with Taiwan or contacts. Not sure but just an FYI.

Anything machinery related is expensive, so the price did take some sweet talking of the chief financial officer. I'm a retired millwright, so I can't just work more OT. Air freight added $150. Delivery is the beginning of February.

It's an '01 . It does get a few bit of use, I can say up to this point it's almost paid for itself. I just don't have a believing audience for that one. But now it's going to have to do some pretty major work.

Back