A (Small) Christmas Present For Atlas 618 Owners

Nogoingback

Registered
Registered
DSCF7296.jpg

When I got my Atlas 618, the felts in the headstock oil cups were completely gone, so I searched for someone to buy the material from. No one
seems to stock this stuff so I wound up calling Gits Mfg. directly to ask if they knew of a distributor that did. The very nice employee I spoke with
asked how much I needed, and when I told her, she offered to run down to the warehouse and simply cut me as small piece and mail it to me for
free, which she did. So my machine got new felts. I'm planning on selling my Atlas, so I thought I would offer the remaining material to some of
you folks on the forum. The first 6 people that PM me with their mailing addresses will get a small piece of material in the mail. This will be a bit
over 1", which is enough for 2 cups. All that I ask is that you only PM me if you really need it. This stuff is so hard to get that I'd like it to go to
people who's felts are missing or really deteriorated. If yours are in good shape, please let someone else have a chance.

Merry Christmas!

Actually, that was about 5 years ago. But yes, very nice of her to do it.

View attachment 252824

When I got my Atlas 618, the felts in the headstock oil cups were completely gone, so I searched for someone to buy the material from. No one
seems to stock this stuff so I wound up calling Gits Mfg. directly to ask if they knew of a distributor that did. The very nice employee I spoke with
asked how much I needed, and when I told her, she offered to run down to the warehouse and simply cut me as small piece and mail it to me for
free, which she did. So my machine got new felts. I'm planning on selling my Atlas, so I thought I would offer the remaining material to some of
you folks on the forum. The first 6 people that PM me with their mailing addresses will get a small piece of material in the mail. This will be a bit
over 1", which is enough for 2 cups. All that I ask is that you only PM me if you really need it. This stuff is so hard to get that I'd like it to go to
people who's felts are missing or really deteriorated. If yours are in good shape, please let someone else have a chance.

Merry Christmas!
Greetings, i for one could use some felt, not sure how too PM you.
Thanks, Rooster

Click on my name next to one of my posts. It should open a small window that gives you an option to start a conversation.

I've mailed felts to 3 people so far which means there are 3 left. Anybody else?

Still 3 felts remaining. I've had a couple of people with 12" lathes ask about them but those lathes use a different diameter. These felts are
just over 1/4" in diameter so if you have the bigger lathe they won't fit.

McMaster Carr sells felt in numerous grades, shapes, and sizes. Order by the foot (length) or Sq. Ft.

But be careful what you buy. Just because it's the right diameter doesn't mean that it'll work in an oil cup. I was only paying attention to getting the right diameter and what arrived was almost hard and stiff enough to turn between centers.

Back