A (Small) Christmas Present For Atlas 618 Owners

McMaster has two densities of felt rope. Which should I get? And is the purpose of the felt to filter out contamination ,or is it to allow a slow flow of oil to the bearing?

McMaster has two densities of felt rope. Which should I get? And is the purpose of the felt to filter out contamination ,or is it to allow a slow flow of oil to the bearing?

It's probably both.

Don't waste your money on the felt rope. I made the mistake of buying a minimum order of it several years ago before I knew that I could still get this and a lot of other parts from Clausing. I cut off a piece, stuck it in the oiler, and oiled it. Two or three days later I noticed that the outer end still looked the same and pulled it back out. The bottom was still dry as a bone.

Just buy them from Clausing. By the time that you buy what will turn out to be a seven lifetime supply, buy a huge arch punch and find out that it doesn't work very well, and finally get two made, you'll have more invested than what Clausing charges plus shipping. If you can think of some more things to buy, that'll help. UPS's charge for the first pound is what's expensive.

The density of the felt used in the spindle bearing oilers is lower than that used in the way wipers. Oil wicks through the oilers in a few minutes . Although it doesn't hurt anything to oil top and bottom before installing. Just messy.

Back