A smooth plane I made

george wilson

Global Moderator
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is a 19th.C. style smooth plane I made. It is not a copy of any plane,but has the feeling of that period in its design.

The body is made from sheet mild steel. The sole and the sides are dovetailed together. This is how the highest class planes were made,starting with a few in the 18th.C.. It is necessary to file out the dovetails by hand,so they are angled on BOTH directions. Then,when the dovetails are flared out and peened together,they cannot come apart. Unlike dovetails for wood,these cannot be slid apart in 1 direction.

The blade is 01,and is 2" wide. I left the tempering color on the blade.

The plane is stuffed with mahogany.

The cap screw details were turned freehand in a lathe,using carbon steel chisels that I make as I need them. They are made like wood lathe chisels,only smaller. Very useful and controllable for decorative metal turning. In the days before modern lathes,much metal turning was done freehand. Steel can be turned this same way. I made many spinning chucks for the PGA trophies by freehand turning after roughing away as much metal as possible with the cross slide and compound in the normal fashion.

The knurling on the cap screw is not knurled in the lathe. I did it freehand using checkering files that make parallel "V" cuts for checkering metal parts on guns(usually). The trick is to keep every cut exactly square,or you will end up with a mess.

The blade of this plane is set using a small brass hammer. I enjoy setting plane irons like this,from years of using wooden planes in the museum. It is easy once you get practiced,and shavings of .001" can be made once the technique is mastered.

_DSC0779.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely stunning. I'd love to see more photos. Do you have any sketches or drawings? As an avid woodworker and a lover of planes, I'd relish the challenge of making one! Alas, it wouldn't come out anywhere as beautiful as the one you made!

John

To tell the truth,a lot of times I just draw the shapes right on the metal with no preliminary drawings. I have a drawing for a plane handle for a jack plane not yet posted. I could find it and put it up,when I locate it. Thank you for the compliments.

Heavens,yes!!! It was made in the 70's. I used it nearly daily for many years. I just keep my things in good condition.

Bravo to you. A functional and beautiful tool, is worth more than the uninitiated can know.

Best Wishes

Chuck

I had never thought about it,but years ago,my wife pointed out that I only make useful things. I haven't made pure sculptures,etc.,or things to just look at,not that I am opposed to them,of course. Just not my habit.

Back