A Straddle Knurler for the Sherline Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outstanding post!!! Perfect timing. I've been wanting go try building a good knurling tool but hadn't yet found any good designs that don't have some kind of potential to move. The crap import knurling tool I have has all kinds of slop in the arms. Your design looks rock solid. Gonna be sourcing materials for this as my next project! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

An excellent and very informative write up thank you.
On a lot of my stainless knurls I use a wire wheel in the drill angled to the diagonal of the knurl pattern and give a little touch as the material is spinning then angle the other way then do the same in reverse.
I have found this tidies up the pattern if it doesnt quite look right.

Gonna be sourcing materials for this as my next project!

Thank you for your kind words.

Go for it, and let me know if you have any questions. This is not a difficult build - you got this!

On a lot of my stainless knurls I use a wire wheel in the drill ...
Thank you, Savarin. I appreciate your comments and advice on using the wire wheels.

Not only a craftsman but capable of explaining the processes so that even I understand. That's some accomplishment.
Thanks Mikey
Chuck

Not only a craftsman but capable of explaining the processes so that even I understand. That's some accomplishment.
Thanks Mikey
Chuck

As always, Chuck, you are most welcome.

Nice job on the tool. Not having a mill would make it hard (not impossible) for me to make. You mentioned that you had the Eagle Rock Ki-44 and the Aloris AXA-19. Of those two, which do you prefer and why. Thanks for any info you could provide.

Thanks @mikey, I'm inching my way toward building one!

Nice job on the tool. Not having a mill would make it hard (not impossible) for me to make. You mentioned that you had the Eagle Rock Ki-44 and the Aloris AXA-19. Of those two, which do you prefer and why. Thanks for any info you could provide.

Thanks for the compliment. Of the two, definitely the Eagle Rock is the better one. It is very solidly built and vibrates much less than the AXA-19. The Eagle Rock K1-44 is the heavy duty version with a set screw to remove and replace the pins. It is much preferred over the lighter duty model that requires the pins to be pressed out. Expensive but it is probably the industry standard tool for this type.

Go for it, Dave. You can do this!
Thanks Mike!
Question about the knurls. KBC carries Form-Rol knurls but I cannot tell which have bevelled edges. Looking at the Form-Rol catalogue doesn't offer a lot more information other than to say that for transverse knurling bevelled knurls must be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back