A Straddle Knurler for the Sherline Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I simply emailed them with what I needed. They were very helpful. I told them that one of our forum members had recommended their knurling wheels. So, I don't think they will be surprised, as I already warned them :). Once they receive payment they ship almost instantly. Have to agree, their site is quite dated. They don't take credit cards. So just send a check. It worked for me!
IMG_20200502_130356.jpg

I simply emailed them with what I needed. They were very helpful. I told them that one of our forum members had recommended their knurling wheels. So, I don't think they will be surprised, as I already warned them :). Once they receive payment they ship almost instantly. Have to agree, their site is quite dated. They don't take credit cards. So just send a check. It worked for me!
View attachment 323421
I find it amazing that there are still places that don’t take credit cards in this day and age. My 91yr old mom still sends checks out to places but she doesn’t have a credit card! I’m old but not old school I guess, if they don’t take plastic I’m going elsewhere. Glad you got what you needed.

@Grinderman I'm amazed too. Their main business is with business. They said to me, if I was a business, they'd just bill me with 30 days to pay. If not a business, COD. I offered to send a check, and they agreed. They are a small local business - made in USA, etc. I decided to give them my business, even though it wasn't real convenient. Had to find a real mailbox to mail the check, as it seems USPS isn't picking up mail at my house anymore. (Delivery only, apparently due to COVID19 fears.) From mailing the check to delivery took 3 days! So if you have a stamp and some checks left, give them a chance. (I've got tons of checks, hard to use them these days!) Don't forget, you are paying the CC companies 3.5% for your convenience, they don't do anything for free! 3.5% is more than the cost of a stamp. Good luck.

FWIW I was just on the phone with AccuTrak and was told EQ isn't a very popular size knurl anymore. They sell EQ in sharp edge only for people who have those older holders. I haven't cut my slots yet still so still debating on cutting them for EP so I have the option for convex or straight. Leaning towards EP.

That aside the project is coming along and I'm pretty pleased how it's turning out. Thanks again to Mikey for the details he provided. It inspired me to do this.

IMG_6349.JPG

For what it is worth, Form Roll sells EQ with bevels. That is what I bought, and is pictured above. Small bevels.

Ok @WobblyHand those do look good, well maybe I go with those beveled Form Roll EQ series and I can always make a second set of arms that are slotted for EP if I want the convex option. Have plenty of 1/2" key stock bar.

I ordered my Form-rol knurl wheels today from SMS Machine tools in Ontario Canada.
Quoted $18.25 CDN per wheel including bevelling.
The price from KBC Canada is $24.75 CDN per wheel. And they are not bevelled.
I'm rather astounded by the price difference.

I'm making one of these tools and I'm down to making the tensioning nut. It will be made out of a piece of 1 1/2"OD 1018, 1 1/2 long. There is no need to thread the whole thing, so I will thread half and counterbore half. Would you thread the bottom/counterbore top, or thread top/counterbore bottom of the nut?

I would thread the bottom and counterbore the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back