A Straddle Knurler for the Sherline Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exact centerline....top, and bottom is how I've been doing mine.

I need a new knurling tool. Was thinking about purchasing one....until I saw this post. :)

I wrote the original version of this article 15 years ago and basically re-wrote it so I could present it here, as promised. As usual, I cannot get the post to look like the original so I'm attaching a pdf of the article as written.

A lot of us have small lathes but that doesn't mean they can't knurl well. In my opinion, the biggest impediment to good knurling are the tools we use. The typical straddle knurlers allow too much movement and I know from experience that this is just not good. If you can, try to modify them to improve their rigidity and I think you'll find this improves the quality of your knurls. Or you can build a better knurler from scratch that meets your criteria of what a knurler should be.

I hope this article provides some food for thought. If you would like to reproduce this tool, please feel free to do so.

If there are questions or criticisms, lay it on me!

Mike
Great piece & ingenious attachment! I had just called Sherine & spoke to Pam regarding my interest in replication of a 1:24 size Auto electronic fitting that I got tired of paying aftermarket prices for… They are very small & have 3 different sizes- in Brass- & they all have a Knurling in the Center of the fitting. *** See Photo*** Pam Advised me that what I was asking, couldn’t be done with a Knurling Attachment Tool, just too small. She said I might be able to use an Engraving tool & score the Brass, giving somewhat of the same effect.
Did I read your article correctly, that 1/8th was possibly on the small end for your Attachment Knurling tool?
Respectfully ,
Lee
☯️ZenModeling☯️

Attachments

• 880FC3A3-E201-4EBB-934E-BBF09181A642.jpeg
    880FC3A3-E201-4EBB-934E-BBF09181A642.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 7541B8C3-1D93-4E00-89DA-5E8E7DFDBC3A.jpeg
    7541B8C3-1D93-4E00-89DA-5E8E7DFDBC3A.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 24
If your part has an OD of about 1/8", this knurler should work.

Great job on the nurling tool.I always thought that was the fun part of the work.The finished aspect of tool making.
Sherline is a good product.
You are a go to spot for the subject.Helps many understands be the mystery of the craft.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back