A THIRD GoldWing!

jonesn7

Registered
Registered
The winter 19-20 project is now in the garage. 1979 GL1000 that had gone through a period with full Vetters and then a poor rendition of a cafe with 7/8" pipe clamped in each handle bar clamp. A chunk of foam (no seat pan) for a seat. Lucked out and gathered most of the missing parts pretty quick. This is my first project bike that actually ran (although very poorly and pouring fuel out of the carbs) when I got it home. It does have ~2 year-old tires and a licely coated tank. All plastic is there although one side cover is broken (I have spares). Missing a muffler, but I have a fairly good '78-'79 left from the Hunley build.

Right now, the carbs are apart for thorough cleaning/rebuild along with the rear brake system. After they are back I will do the front brakes (at a minimum swap the calipers back to the correct sides) and front forks.

Oh yes, I've already changed the belts - before it was ever rolled over!
29468eb87aee21d202a4b27c6fe225b9.jpg

5a65758af99f0a9ae9971012de18e996.jpg

Yes. And, being an interference flat-four, you really don't want a belt to break!
Up until 2001 (the GL1800) all GoldWings were interference boxers. GL1000, 1100, and1200 were 4s, 1500 (and 1800s) flat 6. Many other things since '75 haven't changed - gas tank under the seat, boxer engine, shaft drive, two front one rear disk brakes, low maintenance (except for the points on the 1000s, which can be replaced with electronic.) Common to see 300k mile 'wings. Late '80 through '09 ('10 model) were built in Ohio.

Last edited:
They are great motors, smooth as glass especially the 6 cylinders and run forever.
I had BMW Boxer motors, I love a boxer.

Two wheeled Japanese land yacht --all they needed was auto-steer and auto lane centering :)
I had a Honda 750 but always wondered what those were like

Two wheeled Japanese land yacht --all they needed was auto-steer and auto lane centering :)
I had a Honda 750 but always wondered what those were like
Well, maybe Japanese designed, but mine was built in Ohio, about 50 miles from where I was born. More USA-sourced parts than HD of the time.

The early GL1000s were actually envisioned as sportbikes, to compete with Z1 Kawasakis. When Honda saw everyone hanging Vetters and luggage and touring on them, they realized they had built a touring bike and began de-tuning the engine. '80 they brought production to USA and began selling them with bodywork (Interstate model). 1984 was the final year the Standard (neked) was available.

Interesting- did they make the frames and engines here? I thought they just assembled them here

There are videos filmed in Maysville of a GL1800 build. Frame welding, engine assembly, painting. Some parts may come from Japan (forks for most all including HD, wiring harneses for all vehicles from Mexico), but most is NA origin until 2009 when they shut it down and built 2012s in Japan.

Finished carb clean, rebuild, PO repair (hopefully fixed more than I broke) of wrong jets, missing float valve filters, stripped threads, wallowed JIS heads, shuffled float bowls. Leak tested with isopropyl, fixed the one leaky float seat (just needed a polish), let it set 24 hours and leak-free. Drained and awaiting some pretty-work on the intake runners. Rear bake rebuild kits are in and I'll start that next. Seriously considering reassembly after brakes are sorted to use it for a daily driver while weather is good. This would point out any problems that need addressed when weather turns cold (and the 1800 returns to DD duty).

Hit a snag when I discovered that the beautiful SS headers do not permit use of the Honda mufflers. Awaiting communications with several that say they have stock '78-'79 headers. Took the rear wheel off to permit easier muffler mounting so cleaned and reapplied moly on the splines. The ignition is now wired for the points and static timed. I also have modules and connectors now for the Ford TFI mod that I want to try.

Back