• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

A Tiny Hit And Miss Engine

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

gbritnell

Active User
A couple of years ago a fellow named Arv, alias Put Put Man, designed and built a Tiny hit and miss style engine, although the hit and miss part wasn't functional.
He then shared his drawings with the modeling community and quite a few others built the engine, along with myself.
Another fellow, Gail, created a true hit and miss into his build. His design intrigued me but after seeing it I wanted to try and make a more conventional hit and miss style. Not wanting to just replicate the first engine I then changed the design and made and air cooled cylinder.
To accommodate the governor mechanism a number of modifications had to be made to the existing components, along with some new pieces.
The result is what you see here.
gbritnell

davidh

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
very nice. a couple questions: what are you lubricating the connecting rod and the main bearings with ? what are you using to create spark ?
it appears to be quite well balanced and not jumping all over the table. . . . nice. what rpm is it running at ?

gbritnell

Active User
Hi David,
The original design of the engine used a bronze or brass connecting rod so a couple of drops of oil sufficed. I wanted to lighten up the rod so I made mine from aluminum. Knowing that the high surface speed of the steel crankpin against the aluminum wouldn't last long I made split bronze inserts for the big end. The crank is made from one piece of 1144 stressproof steel.
The main bearings are ball bearings, .187 I.D. x .312 O.D.
For spark I have a Hall transistor on the side opposite the gear side. It triggers my electronic ignition box.
When I built the first engine I had increased the drawing size of 1.75 to 2.00 for the flywheels. Knowing that these things need a little more flywheel weight. When I redesigned this one somehow I didn't increase the size so even with it hitting and missing the rpm is probably about 2500. In the future I'll probably make a set of larger wheels to see if I can slow it down some. With the small size I doubt I can get the RPM below 1500.
gbritnell IMG_6326.JPG

Fabrickator

Active User
Great Job! I've been wanting to make a H&M for a long time now. I was going to make an engine using a BBQ lighter (re-circuited) for the ignition, but I couldn't get it to work consistently and set aside the project.

[6]
[5] [7]