A very interesting looking milling machine.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I just saw on Kijiji what looks to be a stout mill with a 110V, 1/2 HP motor, the ad says it was manufactured by Atlas Engineering Co. England, at a glance it looks crude but it is actually well made, just not your average looking mill, here's a few photos:

9b898b27-352f-4e8e-99b1-e65fd833bd79.pngba8c97ae-797a-481b-a7df-6ece44898d82.pnge687bf18-84e9-419b-a92d-45441558f52f.png

Interesting piece. Looks to be well built, and I agree it would be several steps up from a mini mill. Appears to be something a little wonky with the X axis screw retainer on the right. Mike

Its very interesting, but I think the only thing that was made by Atlas was the xy table. I think it was a DP xy and the frame was parts of another machine. To me the give away is the big goobered weld along side of the quill housing.

It a cool looking machine for sure, I don't live too far away but if I was in the market for a small mill, I would defiantly go look at it, as Tony said ,the only part that looks somewhat decent is the X,Y table, I'm not even sure if this mill comes with graduated hand wheels, but for $800 you get "knee mill" lol.

I'm also thinking it's a bit of a hybrid -- the gear rack on the front looks like the x-y table night have started life as a lever-activated rapid setup. It looks like a really solid x-y table though!

As one who has a garage full of hybrid/modded machines of dubious origin I am not casting stones. But I wouldn't be bumping any of my cast offs to be replaced by this one unless it was cheap. And $800 ain't cheap to this ol boy. My mill drill and shaper have limited Z and that frame sticking down behind that the quill is "welded" to is going to get in the way. There is no way to mount a x drive on the other end easily and that's a big deal to me as I hate traversing by hand. I guess I have enough fixer uppers where this just looks like its easy to resist.

I don't know how long it's been advertised on that site but thankfully in Ontario there's a flood of decent machines and always available at fair prices so not many would give it a second look here but in other provinces , that's another story, someone would have made an offer already.

Back