A very interesting looking milling machine.

The English "Atlas" is most assuredly not the same as an American Atlas. It looks more like a drill press with an added knee function. I might find it useful as a controlable drill press, but I'm not in the market for one.

The English "Atlas" is most assuredly not the same as an American Atlas. It looks more like a drill press with an added knee function. I might find it useful as a controlable drill press, but I'm not in the market for one.

I agree, it's solid /glorified drill press but with that drill chuck I doubt anyone would buy it as a mill.

Looks like a bunch of pieces cobbled together to give something resembling a mill.

It's be a hard pass for me. Haven't got space to keep junk around because it's, ahem.... "interesting".....

Looks like a bunch of pieces cobbled together to give something resembling a mill.

It's be a hard pass for me. Haven't got space to keep junk around because it's, ahem.... "interesting".....
Sarcasm?

I actually do find this type of thing interesting, regardless of whether I think I need one or not. I still think the machine at the start of the thread is likely a hybrid / aka frankenmill but the Atlas-badged part had to come from something legitimate so I did some poking.

Not much out there but through a 2009 thread on another very popular machinist forum I found a couple photos and a bit of history although still pretty sketchy. They made some pretty decently sized machines — lathes, presses, boring machines, etc — one of which I was able to copy here. The others needed member privileges (which I do not have) to view properly so I could only catch the grainy thumbnails. Anyway, here’s the one I could get. The logo is a dead ringer for the one in Ken’s original post.

-frank

1663978565848.png

That x/y table (from the drill/mill) must be really old then,(50-70 years old maybe?) thanks Frank for finding a bit of history on the British Atlas.

That x/y table (from the drill/mill) must be really old then,(50-70 years old maybe?

Yes it does get confusing with two companies having the same name but as noted they are believed to be unrelated. The one reference for the Leeds firm is from 1922 but how long they stayed in business after that don’t know.

Back