A2-6 chuck with D1-4 spindle

springer

Active User
Registered
Probably a dumb question. But if I bought a chuck with an A2-6 mount, could i take a blank d1-4 back plate and cut the taper, drills holes to match and mount that chuck on my lathe?

Quite a bit of mass for (3*) pins.
I suppose it would depend on the weight of the chuck.
I've got one 4-jaw that is hollow on the backside, my other one is solid throughout.

***Edit*** Can't type or remember correctly... one or the other.

Last edited:
Should work OK, but a 12 inch chuck is pretty big for a D1-4.

Perhaps I should go with a 10”. It’s one of those things where I started looking for a better 4 jaw and kept talking myself into something a little nicer then a little bigger.

I like the Taiwan 4 jaw I got from PM with my lathe but the screws are so tight on the jaw and it’s annoying. I can’t get them to free up at all.

Maybe I’ll stick with a 10”. I need to turn some 12” circles but maybe I’ll make some long soft jaws for my 3 jaw.

What is the swing of the lathe? At some point, going larger actually makes your chuck less capable of holding large parts due to the stick out of the jaws interfering with the ways. My 13x40 lathe (actual swing ~14") gets its widest range of work holding sizes with the 8" 4 jaw that came with the lathe. We are taught that bigger is always better ( ;)) but that is not always true...

Perhaps I should go with a 10”. It’s one of those things where I started looking for a better 4 jaw and kept talking myself into something a little nicer then a little bigger.

I like the Taiwan 4 jaw I got from PM with my lathe but the screws are so tight on the jaw and it’s annoying. I can’t get them to free up at all.

Maybe I’ll stick with a 10”. I need to turn some 12” circles but maybe I’ll make some long soft jaws for my 3 jaw.
Is it the screws or the jaws?
My 4-jaw was tight also.
I took some 800 grit clover (oily) and lapped the jaws by hand in their respective slots- screws removed.
Then after the jaws were moving smoothly with no binding I removed the clover from them.
Then I slathered some on the screws and ran them back and forth with a drill.
de-grease it all, oiled and then all was smooth.

Back