A2 and Koa Chopper

i4Marc

Registered
Registered
I haven't been a member here long. I will be spending a lot of time in other sections learning about machining. But to give back a little and to revive this dormant subforum I thought I'd add some new content. This is a Chopper I finished recently. Blade steel is A2, Guard 416SS, Spacers black G10 and Copper, handle is stabilized Koa. The Sheath is hand-stitched leather with pigskin lining and custom belt stud made from 416SS, black G10 and Copper.

Attachments

• Aldrich_200404A-wweb.jpg
    Aldrich_200404A-wweb.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Aldrich_200404B-wweb.jpg
    Aldrich_200404B-wweb.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 32
Looks great! Welcome to a great forum.

Beautiful. All of it. I would like to see the belt stud so I can see how the sheath is fixed to your belt. Also just to see it. By the description it must be pretty too.

Lee,

In the old days the sheath would slide into a frog which is a couple of loops. The vertical loop is the belt loop. This is attached to a horizontal loop which holds the sheath or scabbard. The horizontal loop has a slot running about halfway down from the top. When the sheath slides into that loop the stud rides in the slot and keeps the sheath from falling through the loop and it hangs there in place.

The modern interpretation does away with the frog and uses just the stud. You simply slide the sheath between your belt and pants. The stud hangs on your belt to keep it from going any further.

You can see how I make all of this on my Instagram page @aldrich_knife

So if I have this right, the belt stud is visible on the sheath and has the blade guard strap fixed over it to secure the knife in the sheath. Does that sound abt right?

Yes, sort of. Yes that would be the purpose of the strap and yes the strap uses the belt stud as the closure. But the strap is actually unnecessary as the fit of the sheath to the knife is snug and exact. If you were to invert the sheath and shake it the knife will not fall out. The strap is there mostly as insurance and as a visual element. The sheath would slide between your belt and pants with the stud hanging on the belt. You would see the stud on the outside of your belt (assuming of course you didn't have a shirt or jacket obscuring the view).

Absolutely stunning knives!

thanks for sharing this.
-brino

Back