A36 hot rolled for tool holders?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just wanting to check with those who know.

Is A36 bar acceptable for making tool holders/tool posts?

IMO it would be fine if you are doing lighter work but if you crash it all bets are off if anything will remain straight.

IMO it would be fine if you are doing lighter work but if you crash it all bets are off if anything will remain straight.

Help a newbie understand terms? What is considered lighter work?

What size machine are you making the toolholder for? I'm thinking 1 horsepower or under should be okay, anything bigger or taking really heavy cuts and I'd use 4130/40 or another steel that can be hardened.

I use A36 for a lot of work, the hard part is knowing what is inside A36, part might look ok till next and final cut and voila an inclusion shows up, but other than that and the fact that it can be a challenge to get good surface finish, I like it a lot because I can get it at scrap yard for reasonable cost. Around here if I want flat or bar stock in 1018 which is next critter up the food chain around here I have to pay triple the cost for scrap pieces.

Yeah I'd go for heavier than a36 for one that big, the cost savings isn't really worth the amount of work that goes into making the toolpost and holders. I'd rather spend the extra hundred dollars or so and do it once

How does Cold rolled 1018 compare?
Great question , I'm also interested in knowing what others think of CR1018 because that's what I used for making my tool holders and in my untrained,newbie,humble opinion it is a great choice for tool holders, it machined better that I expected even with my little mini mill,drilled and tapped without a problem, I loved working with it.

Back