AAMCO 7" shaper - motor wiring

Manual says motor should be spinning CCW when viewed from the left side of the shaper - presumably the side with the bull gear cover plate that's on your left when facing said:
Bull gear should be rotating CW.

Ted

The easy way to think about rotation, is the (bull gear )big gear should rotate the top towards the work piece. Quite often, there is a small gear that turns the big gear, and the motor is hooked to that. It will rotate the opposite direction from the big gear.

Wired the motor up in its housing, but not belted. Turns in the correct direction according to the manual: when viewed from the left-hand side of the machine ("left-hand" when viewing the machine head-on, i.e. from the table), the motor is turning CCW. When viewed from the right-hand side, the motor is turning CW. So the wiring should be correct according to the manual. when looking at the motor housing, with the terminals in the 6 o'clock position, the hot lead is on the right and the neutral lead is on the left. Probably it makes no difference, being a closed system; I deal with electronics more than motors so I'm used to the polarity generally being significant.

Motor was a bit sparky when I fired it up, so I have it disassembled for inspection/cleaning. Looks like some shrink tubing should fix the sparks.

Just a quick follow-up. I wired the motor using a polarized plug, with black going to the terminal with the start capacitator and the white going to the other (motor-only) terminal. Seemed fine, but didn't I trust the motor once it was all back together.

Found a Dayton of the same spec (Model # 5UKE7) on sale at Grainger for 80 bucks, which somehow got lowered to forty by the time I checked out (end of year sale?). Haven't installed it yet as I decided to clean and repaint the motor mount, since it is all taken apart already.

Back