Abom size vises

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
So I was looking for some big vises and found these two.
A reed 4c https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/624236254933151/?ref=browse_tab&search_query=Reed vise&tracking={"qid":"6878297438527714398","mf_story_key":"3464021396987740","commerce_rank_obj":"{\"target_id\":3464021396987740,\"target_type\":0,\"primary_position\":-1,\"ranking_signature\":0,\"commerce_channel\":503,\"value\":0,\"upsell_type\":null}"}
A Chas Parker 79x https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/...nel\":503,\"value\":0,\"upsell_type\":null}"}
Wondering if any one has one of these or knows any info they both are huge and can’t find much about them. I was looking for a reed 208 which is 280lbs and 8in jaws and only 20 where made and if anyone has big vises that you want to share please post some pictures of your big vises

Here's my 6" Morgan 60 weighs in at about one forty five. A light weight compared to 8"s but it's still available. Morgan is still producing the Morgan 80 so you can still get a brand new quality 8" vise made right here in the good ole USA. Next step down is a Chas Parker No. 25 which is 5.5" and over 100 years old then a Starrett 5" 925. The Starrett is my go to vise.

According to the retired vise master out of Colorado quality goes Starrett, Reed, Athol, then possibly Chas Parker. When I asked him about where Morgan is he said they are good but not in the same class as the top vise manufacturers.

Attachments

• 00W0W_kW74gdecMsz_1200x900.jpg
    00W0W_kW74gdecMsz_1200x900.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 00q0q_cJus8S7IeOz_1200x900.jpg
    00q0q_cJus8S7IeOz_1200x900.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 28
According to the retired vise master out of Colorado quality goes Starrett, Reed, Athol, then possibly Chas Parker.

Not that it really matters but is there any chance this order is subject to opinion? Not to argue with a Master but my impression was that Parker vises were considered the top of the heap. I own a Reed and have seen (not owned) a Starrett and several Athol vises and while they are solid high quality vises, I would not put them above the Parker that I own.

Last edited:
mikey, the order is definitely subject to opinion. The man who I am referring to as the vise master made vise jaws for many different manufactures and probably studied more vises and drew more plans for jaws than anyone alive. There's not too many people that can make and correctly fit those Parker jaws and he is one of them. Anyway, he helps maintain the spreadsheet that's a wealth of information on vises and so if he says Starrett is the best it's for a reason. I was surprised how highly he thought of the Athol vises but then again they go hand in hand with Starrett.

Here's a link to Kevin's former website: # 1 Building the Chas Parker Jaws . He sent me some pictures of how to remove the Starrett spring which I'm posting here. I'm pretty sure part of the reason he likes the Starrett so much is how smooth they work and how backlash is dealt with by the spring on the lead screw.

There's no doubt Parker makes great vises I have two of them. The No. 25 is probably more like 120 years old as looking through old advertisements the style of that vise changes at the turn of the century. I was super lucky to find it in the condition it's in because unfortunately there's no one around that can easily fix those jaws if need be. On the other hand I was able to purchase the Starrett jaws from Kevin and bolt them right on with almost a perfect fit.

And speaking of Reed I was tempted today to drive an hour and a half each way to get a Reed 105 that seemed to be worth getting so these old vises are kind of a vice for me.

Attachments

• Starrett-924-500-5-2019 (4) (1).JPG
    Starrett-924-500-5-2019 (4) (1).JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 26
  • Starrett-924-500-5-2019 (1).JPG
    Starrett-924-500-5-2019 (1).JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
I'm sure the guy knows a lot more than I do about these things but, like you, vises are sort of a thing for me. I'm at the point in life where I'm not willing to pay what folks are asking for a Starrett or Athol vise. I have a Parker, Prentiss, Reed, several Wiltons and an Emmert 4A and the Parker is clearly the best of the lot. I don't think I'll be buying any more vises but if a Starrett were to drop into my lap then maybe ...

Kevin is an an amazing resource, unfortunately he is retiring and has sold his business. I think you guys left Yost off the list they are still making fine vises. This thread could become a multi year discussion!

Back