? About Steel Prices!

blaser.306

Active User
Registered
I am buying some fresh from the mill steel from a major supplier thru my workplace , along with a large order. My question is if anyone knows of a worldwide shortage of 1/2" 1144 stressproof! I was quoted $2.00 per ft. for 3/4" $5.30 per ft for 1 inch and $16.25 per ft for 1/2" I am hoping this was just a typo but maybe the price of steel has gone up 800% PS this is all new production as it has to be ordered in, not new old stock. PS being in Canada I am getting used to buying one piece of steel an paying for the whole shipment LOL. Was quoted for a 1' piece of 3/4" x 2"x1' 1018 CRS $47.00 per ft.

Seems a bit high. I just checked my local price on 3/4 x 2 x 12 inches, 1018 CRS, $25.85 for 1 piece. $13.83/foot for a 6 foot piece. This is a Metal Supermarket on-line quote, probably the most expensive place to buy metal. I think I'd look for a different vendor.

"I am buying some fresh from the mill steel from a major supplier thru my workplace "

That is most likely the reason. :( Business get charged more because they don't care, as the price is passed on to the costumer anyway.

If you look for a local steel yard close to you, you should be able get it cheaper even if you have to drive a few miles:).
Go visit, talk with them and let them you are a hobbyist and not a business.

I buy my steel from a steel yard/supplier in my neighboring town and I get better prices than anywhere else. The supplier I buy from will help me out by telling me about some drops that they have put up in other buildings that most people will never see. They even cut it without charging me now
(Most places charge per cut). You have nothing to lose but your time.
Tomh

"I am buying some fresh from the mill steel from a major supplier thru my workplace "

That is most likely the reason. :( Business get charged more because they don't care, as the price is passed on to the costumer anyway.

If you look for a local steel yard close to you, you should be able get it cheaper even if you have to drive a few miles:).
Go visit, talk with them and let them you are a hobbyist and not a business.

I buy my steel from a steel yard/supplier in my neighboring town and I get better prices than anywhere else. The supplier I buy from will help me out by telling me about some drops that they have put up in other buildings that most people will never see. They even cut it without charging me now
(Most places charge per cut). You have nothing to lose but your time.
Tomh

The companies around here will not even deal with someone that is not a company . As it is even the company has to purchase $3000.00 minimum before they will even sell to us. There are very few places that will sell to an individual . The ones that do are VERY EXPENSIVE !!! Like I had mentioned . I bought 5 22 ft lengths of 3/4" for $2.00 a ft and will turn it down to diameter .

Wow sorry didn't know that.
Here in the south there are steel yards every where and they sell to anybody.
You know any snow birds headed to Florida :encourage:

Back