About to order a PM-1022v.. Anyone want to talk me down? LOL

If you ask me, lathes up to 14-40 can still be used to turn small things. In a ballpark way, lathes between 9" and 14" have the same features, feeds and speeds -just different size chucks. The breakoff point really seems to be the 15 and 16" units where top speeds take a nose dive because nobody in their right mind spins a chuck that big at high RPMs. Not only is it not necessary, it's dangerous.

That said, most folks simply don't want the hassle of owning/moving a 14" lathe and believe me, you can do some awesome work on those little 1127's. My recommendations for specific units are a little different because, I know the machines pretty well. For all practical purposes, for the work that folks do here there are only 5 specific units that I recommend. -All of them are good and fine units but, from a hobbyist to serious garage shop kinda operation, there are only 5 units that make economic/functional sense.

Anyhow, let me know if you have specific questions as, I'm pretty familiar with that product line and I help Matt support the machines -especially the "small guy" buyers...

Ray

I'm shopping right now for this size of lathe as well. Here's some things I've found:

First off, it's crazy not to enjoy variable speed control for these small lathes. So for Grizzly, you want the G0752, the variable speed version of the G0602. The PM1022V and the G0752 are basically the same price.

The PM1022V is obviously a UTS (inch) version of the Weiss WM250V-F. Here's the link:

http://www.weiss.com.cn/products_detail/&productId=206.html

It's the same down to the blue paint. The G0752 seems to be from the same manufacturer, but Grizzly is big enough to get a few changes to make it unique beyond the paint job. Here's what I've found:

Motor: The G0752 uses a VFD to control a 3-phase AC motor. The PM1022V uses a DC motor.

Chuck: The G0752 uses a threaded chuck. The PM1022V has something different (bolted?).

Tailstock: The G0752 has a MT#3 barrel with 2 1/2" travel. The PM1022V has a MT#2 barrel with 3" travel.

Both lathes use change gears for threading. You have step-up to the 12" lathes to get a full QC gearbox.

One big difference is the PM1022V has power crossfeed which I assume is powered from a slotted leadscrew. Another is left and right hand threading support from the factory. These are two "basic" lathe features that are missing from the G0752. The PM1022V is the only lathe in this size class that has power crossfeed that I've found.

While you have to put-up with annoying change gears, the G0752 has excellent threading capabilities with full metric support (coarse and fine) for sizes M1.6-M30. Full support for UTS (coarse and fine) for sizes #1-1".

For the next part, I'm assuming the PM1022V and PM1127VF have the same thread coverage.

The PM1022V has the same annoying change gears, but for some reason thread coverage isn't as complete as the G0752. UTS is good, with coarse and fine support for sizes #3-1". Metric support is more spotty, with support for M3-M24 but missing M4 (.7), M5 (.8) and M12 (1.75). This kinda sucks because one of the major strengths of buying a import lathe is for good metric support that is missing in the classic USA iron.

And, oh yeah, one's blue and one's green. :)

Good research Doogie. Just to add my 2 cents from what I have seen. The power cross feed is worth its weight in gold as far as a feature. I lived without it for years and now that I have it I cant imagine doing with out it. Also don't get hung up on the list of threads that are shown on the list unless you know there is a weird pitch you need for a specific project. Real fine threads (60+) are a waste of space on the chart and are unpractical to cut on this type of lathe anyway. Besides thread pitch is based on gear math and most machines of the same mfg. or design include the same gears. Gear changes are a pain but you have to go quite a bit larger and or more $$ than a 12" lathe before you can get away from all gear changing if you want to do metric and standard.

BTW . Metric 30? I am not sure what kind of part would have a metric 30 pitch but I cant help to think it wont fit in a 10" lathe if it did.

Last edited:
I have no real expected use out of the thing..

I mean, I want to make a shift knob for one of my cars and a slide hammer attachment for my vice grips. LOL. I've been trying to look at projects over the last 6 months or so and say "where would a lathe/mill have come in handy?" Lots of places. I think it'll just be one of those things you don't need until you have then you'd be lost with out it. Like a drill press, 20T press, etc, etc.

I don't see getting into heavy machining and I am a bit size constrained at my house. I could take it to the hangar and go huge, but I'd never use it over there. I'm planning on buying a lathe in the next couple weeks and a mill this fall, if I don't talk myself into a mill first.

Right off the bat, it seems like a mill might be used more, I could have attempted to use it today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I had known about PM before I bought my lathe, I would have seriously looked at the 1127 large bore. I don't know if I would have gotten it, as its size would have taken space away from other tools/machines I have in my little space. No one makes my ideal lathe in a size I can handle, but this one comes closer than some.

Bill

Good research Doogie. Just to add my 2 cents from what I have seen. The power cross feed is worth its weight in gold as far as a feature. I lived without it for years and now that I have it I cant imagine doing with out it. Also don't get hung up on the list of threads that are shown on the list unless you know there is a weird pitch you need for a specific project. Real fine threads (60+) are a waste of space on the chart and are unpractical to cut on this type of lathe anyway. Besides thread pitch is based on gear math and most machines of the same mfg. or design include the same gears. Gear changes are a pain but you have to go quite a bit larger and or more $$ than a 12" lathe before you can get away from all gear changing if you want to do metric and standard.

Something else to know... It's not accurate to say that all machines that look the same are coming from Weiss and being sold by different distributors. -That is not always the case, trust me on that... Weiss is not the only game in China and there are many factories making what looks like the same thing!

Also, be careful about slicing and dicing every specification out of the spec sheets. Most of the time, the spec sheets have errors due to being out-of-date (or improperly translated). In about an hour or two, I'm set to talk with Matt about the actual specs on that machine.

We can talk for days about all the differences of these machines but, let me get right to the point. The 1127VF is fine for most folks who want a small and full-featured lathe. If you need the large bore, I would skip the "LB" version of the 1127 and go right to the PM1236. After that comes the 1340GT which is a sweet, sweet lathe with an auto gearbox. My next favorite is the 1440HD which is what I have my eye on now. Outstanding lathe for the price. If you want a Cadillac 14" lathe, then look at the RML "V" version lathes. If you want a 16 to 22" lathe, I would recommend the "Modern" brand that Matt carries but is not listed on his website. That is a brand he sells to the "big boys".

There you have it, my picks:

112VF (Perfect machine. Full featured for the guy with limited workspace).
PM1236 (No nonsense, damn good lathe that I use every day).
PM1340GT (Full-featured, Sweet Lathe. Artisan's lathe, well finished).
PM1440HD (Best rugged 14" machine out there that cuts precise too).
1440RML-V (Cadillac at Pontiac prices).
16-22" Modern Brand: Equivalent to old-time Leblond at 1/2 the price. -Way beyond hobby-class.

You can buy whatever machine you want from whatever vendor you're comfortable with but, these size-class machines are the backbone of the folks here. Of course, I am not talking about the ultra-mini units...

Hope that saves someone a lot of hassle... -And I reiterate: Not all machines that look the same are coming from the same factory!

Ray

Ray, I agree with that 100% and I have beet that drum numerous times here. There are numerous factories making the same design as (most) machine tool designs are freely shared in China and importers like to protect their sources. I was using the example information that was posted of both machines being Weiss or Weiss copies.

Ray, I agree with that 100% and I have beet that drum numerous times here. There are numerous factories making the same design as (most) machine tool designs are freely shared in China and importers like to protect their sources. I was using the example information that was posted of both machines being Weiss or Weiss copies.

No worries... And just as I thought, those machines are not both Weiss and there are a couple factories making that pattern machine. Matt is checking into the issue of the specific threading capabilities. Standby for that. All I can say is that nobody has called him to complain about it's lack of threading ability. To some extent, this situation is similar to how some folks will say that lathe ABC is better than lathe XYZ because ABC can do 211 TPI and XYZ cannot. -Pure poppycock... Nobody in their right mind uses these kinds of lathes to make threads finer than about 48 to 56 TPI -and even then, you need a carbide sewing needle to do it... Similarly, making really coarse threads on a light machine doesn't make too much sense.

Ray

Wow.. All good stuff..

I really think the 10x22 will get me by..

Just need to suss out what to get first.

This is a great discussion n the differences of the different models, keep it going .

I've been following all the discussions comparing the different lathe models and features lately too, thinking that I would order one soon too, finally sold an old '78 shovelhead I've been wanting out of my garage :thumbsup: , so have some extra cash now just gotta decide.
All the features and comparing specs are confusing me a bit. Does the PM 10" and PM1127 Have gears to change for different threading or is that a advantage of the PM1127 that the threads are changed by changing levers ?

The 10 and 11" units have change gears.

LOL: Matt thinks I'm crazy for not liking the 10" unit but, I really like lathes that have a separate feedrod and leadscrew. Once you get used to that, it's hard not to have it.

Ray

This is a great discussion n the differences of the different models, keep it going .

I've been following all the discussions comparing the different lathe models and features lately too, thinking that I would order one soon too, finally sold an old '78 shovelhead I've been wanting out of my garage :thumbsup: , so have some extra cash now just gotta decide.
All the features and comparing specs are confusing me a bit. Does the PM 10" and PM1127 Have gears to change for different threading or is that a advantage of the PM1127 that the threads are changed by changing levers ?

Back