About to pull the pin on a new PM-25

bjacobsen

Registered
Registered
As the title says, I’m just about ready to buy a new PM-25MV. Anything I need to know before I pull the pin on this purchase? Have been using a grizzly mini mill for the last 15 years and looking to upgrade/upsize slightly....no room for a knee mill unfortunately and the PM-30 is probably too big for my little shop as well. Looks as though it would be fairly easy to upgrade to CNC as well if I ever decided to make that jump (mainly looking at the Pro cut CNC parts)? Thanks for any input.

Opt for the DRO, X and Y. I don't have DRO on the head, don't miss it. The quill has one built in. If Matt has an X power feed, go for it, or build one yourself.

I think you will be happy with that machine.

I bought one about a month ago with the DRO installed. Very happy with it so far.

Probably going to hold off on the dro for now, been doing things the ‘hard’ way forever anyway and right now feel the extra $$ could be better spent upgrading some of my tooling!
Thanks for the reply’s!

As long as you are not going to be hogging steel with a 1/2" endmill, you should be fine. I liked my PM25, and it is a very capable machine if you stay within its limitations.

It should be a nice step up from you mini mill. Enjoy. :)

Don’t do much steel....probably 90% aluminum and the rest a mixed bag of mainly delrin and some steel!!

The PM25 will handle steel just fine. I used quality 3/8" and smaller endmills and they did a great job. I did have some 1//2" roughers, but those were for hogging 7075.

Sounds like you will be just fine.

Does anyone have the dimension for the height from the base of the machine to the top of the table, I’m guessing around 6-7 inches? I see their cabinet stands 30” tall....just trying to see what the table working height is with their cabinet. Thanks again!

Back