About to pull the pin on a new PM-25

Some of the confusion of Hp/Top speed may be based on there is both a M and V version of the 727 and if I recall the pm-25, although it seems like the M has been phased out. Others with these mills can give you their measured specs as to heights and travel.
PM-25V is a 1 HP (750 W) brushless dc motor. Spindle speed is continuously variable from 50 to 1250 rpm, low range, and 100 to 2500 rpm, high range
PM-727V is a brushless dc, 1125W (1.5 HP). The PM-727V provides 6 speed ranges covering 40-3000 rpm.

Thanks for the info!!....with the uncertainties of some of the numbers and despite the fact I really like the belt drive on the 25 I actually just ordered the PM727MV with DRO. Looking at the two objectively I think the possibility (hope!!!) of a 1/2 more hp and significantly more y and z travel and clearance on the 727 (my mini mill has 11 5/8” measured spindle to table clearance, basically the same as the 25) and the added weight of the 727 within basically the same footprint made me stretch the budget....(make it hurt once!). Also the 727 looks to have larger more stable ways on the y and z and a significantly larger column. I was looking for a significant jump in capability from what I have and though I’m sure the 25 is a ton better it was just too close in y and z to what I have. Thanks for the information (especially the tip on the 727 mksj!!) and I’ll let you know when the friendly delivery truck arrives!

Congrats on the new machine! I love when it comes time to finally pull the trigger on a machine after researching for weeks and going back and forth and making the final decision about 9 times, then placing the order and knowing a sweet new piece of equipment is coming.

I liked the 727V when I was shopping (ended up getting a PM25) and the extra power and weight were very tempting. I do wonder why they stuck with the gear set up on the 727V instead of switching to a belt drive. I have to imagine its cheaper and easier to make a pulley system than to make a decent gear system. I am pretty sure the PM25 and PM727 have the same table (same dimensions, looks to be same thickness) but with the 727 having 5ish fewer inches of X travel, the table will be much better supported which should let you take deeper cuts.

Post pictures when it arrives! I have always been please with PM shipping. When I got my PM25, I think it took them 2 days to process the order and it shipped overnight (PA to NC). I hope yours arrives on a similar time frame.

Thanks for the info!!....with the uncertainties of some of the numbers and despite the fact I really like the belt drive on the 25 I actually just ordered the PM727MV with DRO. Looking at the two objectively I think the possibility (hope!!!) of a 1/2 more hp and significantly more y and z travel and clearance on the 727 (my mini mill has 11 5/8” measured spindle to table clearance, basically the same as the 25) and the added weight of the 727 within basically the same footprint made me stretch the budget....(make it hurt once!). Also the 727 looks to have larger more stable ways on the y and z and a significantly larger column. I was looking for a significant jump in capability from what I have and though I’m sure the 25 is a ton better it was just too close in y and z to what I have. Thanks for the information (especially the tip on the 727 mksj!!) and I’ll let you know when the friendly delivery truck arrives!
Everyone I talked to seemed to lean towards the 25, but based on what i was reading on the specs....I was leaning towards the 727. I feel like I'm leaning towards the 727 again. Ugh. I would have pulled the trigger already as Amazon had that machine (727) with stand and delivered for $1899! I posted it here and they immediately pulled it off Amazon (they had 3) I guessed they figured why would people buy from their site if they could get such a better deal on Amazon? Bummer. Can't wait to hear what you think!

Well, she arrived yesterday, quite a hunk of iron compared to my mini mill!!! unfortunately will not be able to get much farther then this point on set up for a week or so as work obligations are keeping me away, but initial examination looks very nicely built!
IMG_6213.jpg
IMG_6216.jpg

Great looking mill, a lot of mill for it's size and should have no difficulty chewing through the metal. You will love the variable speed on these mills. Look forward to the chips flying. :encourage:

bjacobsen - Well it's been two years since you got your PM-727. I'd love to hear what you think of it. I too am torn between the PM-25MV and the PM-727V. Thanks!

Last edited:
bjacobsen - Well it's been two years since you got your Pm-727. I'd love to hear what you thing of it. I too am torn between the PM-25MV and the PM-727V. Thanks!
I am very happy with the 727v, in the end the 25 was just too close in the available work envelope to my mini mill (which I still have and use). The 727 I’m sure is much more rigid than the 25 as well as well as having the gear head in addition to the variable speed allows you to make use of all the available horsepower at lower spindle speeds, I would definitely buy again and I will never buy another machine without the dro....that makes stuff so easy (Eventually going to retrofit one on my 1947 Logan 825 as well).

I am very happy with the 727v, in the end the 25 was just too close in the available work envelope to my mini mill (which I still have and use). The 727 I’m sure is much more rigid than the 25 as well as well as having the gear head in addition to the variable speed allows you to make use of all the available horsepower at lower spindle speeds, I would definitely buy again and I will never buy another machine without the dro....that makes stuff so easy (Eventually going to retrofit one on my 1947 Logan 825 as well).
Thanks very much for the report! Given that the PM-727V with DRO is only $400 more than the PM-25MV with DRO seems like it would be the smart choice.

Bigger is not always better, but too small never is. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :)

Back