Accessorie compatibility of Logan 210 10"

ZombiWelder

Registered
Registered
Howdy folks!
The gods have heard my prayers! I got a lathe, looks in decent condition and I'm in need of some advice .

I need a 4 jaw independent Chuck for it and wondering what other lathes the Logan's tapered headstock thread is compatible with if at all?
Previous owner lost the gear set that comes with it, wonder other lathe brands use same gears? Is there a a cheap source of them?
Is there inexpensive quick change toolpost
That happens to install easily, AXA I believe is the right size. Are there toolposts that I should stay away from?

Thanks a bunch!
IMG_20191123_152414478.jpgIMG_20191123_152337739.jpgIMG_20191123_152343586.jpg

Last edited:
It should be a 1-1/2" x 8 thread, which is a very common thread for 10" lathes.

Logan's seem to have pretty good cross compatibility between same size models. I have a late 1970's production Logan made by Powermatic and I can still use many parts from the earlier Logan built models.

You can still get parts from Logan, they are not cheap, but at least they are available.

Logan Lathes

There is also a Logan Facebook group and recently there has been a woman selling a lot of Logan parts there. Also a Logan mailing list on I/O groups (took over from the Yahoo group you may find reference to).

https://groups.io/g/Lathe-List

Scott Logan runs both groups and will answer questions.

For non-Logan chucks you can buy a plain back chuck with a separate back plate expanding your chuck options. Little Machine Shop and Shars both sell chucks and back plates, eBay is another source.

Change gears will be a bit of an issue. Both Logan and Boston Gear make them, but $$$. Amazon carries what seems to be a full selection of Boston Gear products. You'll need to know the pressure angle, diameteral pitch, tooth count, and bore size. Pressure angle and diameteral pitch will be the same for all the gears.

I think the real advantage of a gearhead lathe is that you don't lose the change gears

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot!
Holy! I didn't not expect the gears to be pricey. I'd be grateful beyond explicable if anyone could tell me the minimum set of gears I need to do basic turning. I'm planning on installing vfd, hopefully that helps, I'll be using carbide Tooling... Currently I have 32/16 stud gear, 48/24 , 54/18 and 72 teeth.

You don't really need a full set of change gears unless you need to match existing threads. You would not be the first person to make all of your projects with the same thread regardless of size. Sorry I'm not of much use as to what the most useful combinations are as I have a gearbox on mine. I'd look at what threads you think you want to cut, and a range of speeds for the powerfeed and go from there. You may find long term it is more economical (as well as more efficient) to get a lathe with a quick change gear box vs collecting a full range of gears.

Many recommend using high speed steel over carbide for the home shop. Have a look at the Grinding high speed steel tooling super thread. It is a huge thread, but very helpful.

Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Back