Accidentaly bought an automatic boring head

michieltje

Registered
Registered
So I bought a second hand boring head. When the package arrived I noticed the upper ring moved freely and tightening the set screws dit not fasten it. My guess is that this is an automatic boring head, but when I grab the ring the boring radius does not become smaller or larger.
There are some markings on the set screws but they do not appear to be doing anything in any way they are oriented. Does someone know what this should be doing?
Also; are CCMT inserts good for boring on a mill? I still have to buy the cutter so I am open to suggestions on that.

Attachments

• d5988771-0d2d-405d-9e19-6c55172c66f7.jpg
    d5988771-0d2d-405d-9e19-6c55172c66f7.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 0b2f20cd-b5f2-4c24-a829-5d547415ef44.jpg
    0b2f20cd-b5f2-4c24-a829-5d547415ef44.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 2051e85a-7671-412f-80ff-d69e72024867.jpg
    2051e85a-7671-412f-80ff-d69e72024867.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 110
Maybe the ring locks the cutting tool. Try making the tool move one way or the other without lifting the ring and see if it's locked, then lift the ring and see if you can move the tool. Other than that I got nuthin'.

That is a boring /facing head, try to find the make and get the instructions on how it works.
They are a good tool to have in your arsenal.............

I have a Chandler duplex with a (I think) #9 Brown & Sharpe shank. Can't find a R-8 adapter. Might anybody want mine? PM me

Not to highjack this thread. Sorry.
Aaron

Maybe the ring locks the cutting tool. Try making the tool move one way or the other without lifting the ring and see if it's locked, then lift the ring and see if you can move the tool. Other than that I got nuthin'.
Is that a common thing, boring heads with locks? This one does lock up when turning on the ring.
Probably isn't an automatic boring head then.
Any experience with using ccmt inserts for boring on the mill? Would allow me to use the same insert for multiple tools (on the lathe) which helps to keep down the amount of stuff I have laying around.

I have a Chandler duplex with a (I think) #9 Brown & Sharpe shank. Can't find a R-8 adapter. Might anybody want mine? PM me

Not to highjack this thread. Sorry.
Aaron

Aaron,

Are you offering to give or sell your Chandler boring head? I got one maybe 10 years ago. It had a straight shank that mounted to the head with a 1/2" x 20 thread I think. I bought some R8 adapter with enough meat on the end so I could turn it down and thread it accordingly. Not all that difficult to do.

My guess is that yours is probably similar, the B&S shank is probably screwed in. Try to hold the shank in a vise with something to protect it and try to unscrew the head. There should be plenty of options to grab the head to unscrew it. If that doesn't work, you could possibly turn the seemingly integral shank in the lathe with a carbide tool and patience. Just turn it down to a straight shank that you could use in a collet.

Good luck.

Jacques

Is that a common thing, boring heads with locks? This one does lock up when turning on the ring.
Probably isn't an automatic boring head then.
Any experience with using ccmt inserts for boring on the mill? Would allow me to use the same insert for multiple tools (on the lathe) which helps to keep down the amount of stuff I have laying around.

I kind of doubt that this is a facing head. I think it is just a standard boring head that you adjust with that small graduated button on the side. Is there a brand name anywhere on the tool?

Jacques

Aaron,

Are you offering to give or sell your Chandler boring head? I got one maybe 10 years ago. It had a straight shank that mounted to the head with a 1/2" x 20 thread I think. I bought some R8 adapter with enough meat on the end so I could turn it down and thread it accordingly. Not all that difficult to do.

My guess is that yours is probably similar, the B&S shank is probably screwed in. Try to hold the shank in a vise with something to protect it and try to unscrew the head. There should be plenty of options to grab the head to unscrew it. If that doesn't work, you could possibly turn the seemingly integral shank in the lathe with a carbide tool and patience. Just turn it down to a straight shank that you could use in a collet.

Good luck.

Jacques

Jacques
Since I posted, I've thought about both of those ideas. Just don't have time for a while. They seam to be quite pricy so I'm not ready to give it away YET.
Thanks
Aaron

Aaron,

I wasn't looking to snatch it out of your hands, I was just curious about what you meant exactly. And then I thought I could provide you with my insight with a Chandler Duplex that I have had to modify myself.

I would like to see a picture of it if you feel like it. Just curious to see if it is the same size as I have. If it is, we could swap, I don't have a mill with an R8 spindle anymore. Or I could sell you my R8 arbor simply. But I think that this would be more risky than swapping. the whole assemblies. They could look the same but not really be the same.

Anyway, good luck with yours.

Jacques

Jacques
I did try and was able to remove the arbor from the head. Since it is center drilled on both ends it should be easy to turn down to 3/4" straight shank. But I'll have to put that off for now as I have too many other things going.
Thanks
Aaron

Back