Accuracy of using visual

Does accidentally tapping an engineer square affect its squareness like a small sharp tap on another piece of metal tube by accident.

maybe but probably not.

if you havn't raised a burr then the tap probably wasn't tooo hard, I find the easiest way to mess up a square is to accidentally put something heavy on the blade part and bend it :(

(although I have a china made one that came wavy so I didn't have to wory so much :) )

Reactions: Koi
Does accidentally tapping an engineer square affect its squareness like a small sharp tap on another piece of metal tube by accident.
That depends on the heat treatment; if the square is properly stress-relieved (good ones are) the amount of energy that
is required to make it change shape is large (and won't result from a small tap); it will rebound elastically to its original
shape.

Old-time piano frames were cast, then left to weather for a few seasons or years, before any machining was attempted,
because a fresh casting could warp in subsequent weeks or months (and lose tune). Nowadays, they get a heat/chill/heat/chill
cycle and are ready in a few days.

Reactions: Koi
depends on how much weight you apply, use kero or wd40 on soft metals, but you,ve only got to see how many shavings come off when ,say, filing an axe to see how much, btw never file both ways pressure on the away stroke, files are not cheap, as with a hacksaw just pressure on way, lift the tool slightly on back stroke, trade schools are no more here, probs they did not teach these things, but they did 56 years back:))
Files and hacksaw has teeth that cuts like endmill right.Thats what i do from the first day i own a file

Back