Accuracy of using visual

Using the corner of of your caliper is probably not a problem because the bar on a caliper should be straight but I have seen guys use the corner of a bar that was bowed, that won't give you a true reading! All of my good squares and straight edges have beveled edges on them. I use a piece of .0005" Mylar as a test strip between the blade of my tool and the surface that I am checking. The picture shows one of my good squares against one of my good angle plates with a .0005" Mylar shim between the two. It is amazinghow much light comes through that .0005" gap! Remember also that if you are checking a ground or shiny surface, the gap of light appears twice as wide as it actually is because of reflection.20200204_110403.jpg

I ordered one few days ago and have to go get it tommorow afternoon .Im studying mechatronic for now in a polytechnic and we have workshop assignment fitting i guess not really expecting to do this there though but since i gout the equipments then i might as well just bring it to my dorm.(sounds kinda crazy.
Another really handy thing is a toolmakers straight edge. It has a built in knife edge and is way stouter than a machinist square. I bought a antique B&S TSE and it is in perfect shape but talk about accurate! I'm am in no way any kind of expert but having dove down the precision rabbit hole a couple of times the things this old TSE revealed were brutal. You start using a knife edge and I was crazy in no time.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 25
Don bailey shows on surface grinding videos that checking against a know square one can see the light between the part and square will actual turn a blue when within tenths. I personally haven’t done but I trust his word and he does demonstrate in the videos check them out.
Can you direct me to which episode on YouTube he mentions this? I didn't see one that mentioned this directly.

Bought a kennedy 3 inch square for Rm130 should be somewhere 24 dollars.

Attachments

• 1580882137809571341770918332538.jpg
    1580882137809571341770918332538.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 15808821583375107231857373118325.jpg
    15808821583375107231857373118325.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Another really handy thing is a toolmakers straight edge. It has a built in knife edge and is way stouter than a machinist square. I bought a antique B&S TSE and it is in perfect shape but talk about accurate! I'm am in no way any kind of expert but having dove down the precision rabbit hole a couple of times the things this old TSE revealed were brutal. You start using a knife edge and I was crazy in no time.

+1.gif

I have a couple of Mitutoyo ones. I don't use them often & I could live without them but I came across them cheap on ebay. Great to have around when needed.

20200204_220427.jpg

View attachment 312694

I don't use them often & I could live without them but I came across them cheap on ebay. Great to have around when needed.

View attachment 312695
This describes most of what I have in my shop. And it's been quite a while since I dragged my TSE out but the right tool for the job. And in a hobby shop where you do it all instead of in a production shop where you are doing one thing it takes quite an array. Luckily there's eBay and being able to pick up deals on Old Dead Guy Tools. Bless them and may they rest in peace knowing another old guy appreciates what they passed on.

Also how much does a file remove on average for fine file and bastard cut file.

Don bailey shows on surface grinding videos that checking against a know square one can see the light between the part and square will actual turn a blue when within tenths. I personally haven’t done but I trust his word and he does demonstrate in the videos check them out.

yeah if it's real close then optical will show you quite accurately as you start being smaller than the size of light.

red light is bigger than green and blue. hence the shift to blue.

You can see this also with chromatic aberration in lenses and the different focus mark on lenses for infra red.

"The wavelength of green light is about 500 nanometers, or two thousandths of a millimeter. "

Stu

Back