Acme or UTS Thread

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I suspect no one is following this thread of mine so I thought I'd repost and get some suggestions. Here is the original thread link.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/toolmakers-vise-material.63310/

I do not have any acme taps or dies for the lead screw. I do however have some left over 5/8-10 RH acme precision rod left over from my surface grinder job. I could buy a brass insert and press it into the lead screw block. Then I could buy a few acme nuts to fit onto the screw to make my handle proper.
The other option is to just single point a 60° thread.
Suggestions?

Why not single point a Acme thread screw, then make a nut where the ID would be Acme thread for the screw. Then thread the OD of the nut with a 60 degree vee thread. That way, you could drill and tap a UNF thread in the vise body, lock in the brass nut with Loctite and you go it!

Be nothing wrong with making the screw thread a 60 degree vee thread for the vise.

Yeah I think we're on the same thought process.
What TPI would you use if you single pointed it? SInce I would be making both the A and B threads I could make any TPI I wish. 20TPI?

Yeah I think we're on the same thought process.
What TPI would you use if you single pointed it? SInce I would be making both the A and B threads I could make any TPI I wish. 20TPI?
What's the OD of the screw you want to use?

5/8-10 Acme is the screw I have left over. I would stay with 5/8 if I single point thread also.

Okay, with 5/8-10 Acme, I would look at making a nut with a OD thread say 7/8-14UNF, so that way you could use a standard tap to tap a hole in the frame of the vise.

Sounds like a plan.
Thanks

Back