Acme thread profiled router bit

SRiddle68

Registered
Registered
I know this is a bit of a strange tool I am asking about. I have a old metal lathe modified to run under CNC controls and I often cut wood on it. What I am looking for is a 1/4" drive wood cutting router bit that has a Acme tooth profile on it to run on a live die grinder mounted to the tool post. My lathe spindle is servo controlled so I can use it as a indexer. I would like to come in from the side like a lathe tool but route in the thread profile with the high speed die grinder spindle. I have not been able to find a tool like this. In either metal or wood cutting geometry. What I have been thinking to do is grind my own bit by starting with a 2 flute, spade style, carbide router bit. If I dont have to make one and can buy one (for a reasonable price) I would prefer to but I have not been able to find one.
If anyone has any leads or suggestions I would appreciate them.
Thanks!

Seek out someone with a Deckel SO grinder or equivalent. That's a simple profile to make.

Look up finger joint router bits, you won't be able to have any relief on the single bit in your example.

Look for a tapered end mill. 15* per side would be as cloae as you can get to the Acme profile.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I was surfing the internet last night and came upon the bit that JimDawson linked to. The only difference was the one I found had a smaller flat on the end. Amana Tool - 45776 This morning I found one on Ebay also. EbayLink
I will have to decide now if the 0.5° variance per side is worth grinding off or not. If I cut the thread to a 2G spec it might be tolerant of that small of a error. If I use this tool on a boring bar to do the internal threading then they would be a matched set anyway.
Scott

Back