Acra Milling Machine

Well, after a few back and forth e-mails, I was told by the company that was distributing the Acra mill that the shipping company they used did not have a terminal in Dallas...
His best suggestion was to hire a rigging company to get it here and quoted $895 just for the move.

Needless to say, I called Matt at Precision Matthews to put a deposit down his 9x49 instead. From everything I've read, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Just a coincidence, but one of the shops I do work with just got a new ACRA 10x54 milling machine. I was there this morning picking up some work and I got to see it, play with it a little and talk to the guy who uses it. The machinist that runs it has had it for a about a month now and is happy with it. A step up from the 1970-1980's Bridgeport he was using. (the 10x54 is significantly bigger).

The owner wasn't there so I didn't get to ask about shipping, but since they have a forklift, they wouldn't have had the trouble I did.

My PM9x49 comes next week, and I'm excited to get it. But if someone else is looking at the ACRA mill, it seems like a good import too.

Bloody shipping sucks, cked shipping on an older van Norman 22 , cost to buy $895.00 obo , shipping $900, - $1,000. , no used van Norman in my future.

I ordered my Acra mill direct from the company in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Shipping to Tucson, AZ was $450. There may be higher charges if you do not have the means to offload it or need to have these machines delivered and offloaded to your workshop. Definitely too heavy for a lift gate. At one point I was looking at a heavy 1440 lathe of similar weight, I used one of several bidding services, and I recall it was going to be around $700 from CA. You are not really sure what you are going to end up with when you these type of services.

So something to really consider if you are getting a full size mill. Mine came well wrapped and arrived overnight from Ca. Fortunately Firestopper (Paco) was able to offload it and get it setup on a rolling base, then used a drop deck trailer to get it to my garage. Without his help, I would not have been able to deal with a full sized mill. There is something to be said for a heavier machine, very impressive when machining with it. Very happy with mine.

Delivery flatbed with several machines under the tarps.
1.jpg

I have the acra mill bought it at westec in la ordered it special single phase and had to wait 4 months for delivery bought a used chevy 2 1/2 ton truck and went down to Pomona to pick it up. rented a forklift to unload it scrapped the truck. mill works well bill

M
Why would someone want to flake the top of a mill table, beyond decorative, or perhaps trying to hide some sins?
My 70’s era textron bridgeport 9X42 has the table flaked. Looks original, machine has never been rebuilt. It’s doesnt look as nice as the picture now but 40 yrs ago I’m sure it did.

Back