[4]

Acto Super 8 Shaper Project

• Thread starter Deleted member 17524
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
A new project will begin soon? I cannot define soon, sorry, but it will be started and finished. I cannot find a shaper in this area for a decent price, so I decided to build my own.

The prints were bought on ebay. They are from Australia. The prints are great if you know CAD. I do not ant it took some time to go thru them and figure them all out.

They are in metric so I will be using both metric and imperial for this build. The extra cost for metric steel is over the top. It's the apples and oranges thing.

Stand by folks as I believe this is the largest project ever to be done on this forum. It won't be done overnight. ROTFLMBO

"Billy G"

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Now thats a project Bill, cmon, upanatom.

tweinke

Active User
Bill I am looking forward to your project! I have wondered how one of those or the 6 inch would be to build. The shaper bug has really been chewing at me lately so this will be no help.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
I'll be watching this for sure. Seems like a really well thought out machine. What I'd really be interested to see is the auto down feed and how that works.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
C-Bag

It will be a while before we get that far but I made a note to take some extra time when we do get that far.

"Billy G"

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
Thanks Bill. I look fwd to seeing the whole project unfold. I get the first step is declare you are going to do this and a timeline is not necessary.

If I may, I would like to make a bet though. If your life goes like mine at some point in this project THE shaper of your dreams is going to show up. This has happened to me so many times. It seems the universe is not convinced I'm serious until I do all the research and start gathering the materials and bang the deal shows up. I'm not jinxing your project I'm just wondering if it holds true for you too.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
wow, ambitious. Here's to your project. That low profile hold down looks pretty cool. Looks like a mechanical advantage.
shaper_lockdown.jpg
On second look, maybe not, I thought it offered side pressure, now I see maybe not.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Never happen C-Bag. The shaper of my dreams will never appear. It is a figment of my imagination. It doesn't exist. LOL

"Billy G"

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I'd planned on building one a few years ago Bill. Couldn't find one anywhere. Went as far as buying a necessary riser for mill to do the machining. Then found a Logan at a reasonable price before I made a single chip.
Looking forward to the build.

Greg

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
I'm pretty sure Crank thought that until that guy threw back the cover :)

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nice to see you on board with this one Greg.

"Billy G"

PMartin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I have always liked shapers, but never thought of anyone building a shaper from scratch, at least not a machine of any size. I'll be watching too. A friend of mine just south of here has a shaper and I just love watching it work.

I do have a question for you: Is this shaper built entirely from bar stock or does it use castings for some of it?

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
To answer that question is easy, no castings, all bar stock. The only purchased parts are bearings, sprockets and roller chain.

"Billy G"

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
I'm sure going to be keeping an eye on this. Doing this without castings.......wow!

Attachments

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
A major hurdle has been overcome. My Neurologist called and after yesterdays Stress Test results I have been told it's OK for me to run machinery again. For those wondering, I had a Stroke last Nov. 4th.

"Billy G"

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Sorry to here that Bill, but glad your back in the wonderful world of machines.

Greg

savarin

Active User
Really glad to hear your feeling better.
Good health to you Bill.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
That's wonderful news indeed.

All the best Bill.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
UPDATE #1

Bearings, bushings and pillow blocks arrived yesterday. Steel will be ordered this week. Roller Chain and sprockets are on their way. When all is together we will begin. There is no time line on this project as of yet. See you again soon.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
There are 212 pages of CAD drawings. Some pages have multiple parts. It took quite a bit of time on my part to figure these and the various assembly drawings out. As I stated CAD and I do not belong together in the same space yet. I don't think we ever will. I have been through them all at least three times now and have a pretty good handle on this build. Time will tell.

"Billy G"

rrjohnso2000

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Looking forward to the build

hermetic

Active User
Registered
What a beautiful machine! Good luck with it Bill, I have a ringside seat! I Have an Alba 1A 12" shaper, small but superb. I am in the middle of cutting some internal keyways, but at the moment , it stands in the middle of the new shop, alone and neglected! IMG0067A.jpg

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
Looks really good , I like some of the added improvements over the older models. Glad you getting back to life , my wish is to do the same. My one quirk on the plans and I know it's not warranted but why not box ways on a shaper there almost perfectly matched for that machine. No I'm not nitpicking I'm just wondering , I figure others may too.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Roller Chain and sprockets are here. Steel has been ordered. Once steel is here we can start.

"Billy G"

antalog

Swarf
Registered
Eagerly following along with your build!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

antalog

Swarf
Registered
Eagerly following along with your build!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

[6]
[5] [7]