Actually what I did yesterday............

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
A fun little project that needed the use of a finger brake was at hand. I needed a little box made for a tool kit on an old
dirt bike I have been working on. After a couple hours of cutting, bending and riveting, I assembled a usable box.
Not having any Idea where the original tool box was located, I found a place to mount the little box on an unused pipe
that had two threaded protrusions on it. That done, I did a little scraping up and modifying of some tools to perform the
usual basic maintenance.

Here's a couple photos of the project:

P1020358.JPG
This is the set of tools assembled in some old blue jean material, a bit of a sewing project
for my Singer.... The tools roll up nicely and won't bounce around in the box.

P1020356.JPG
This is how the box looks nestled in what little spare space I could find. Some day I will probably find
out where the original tool kit was located!! The box is made of mild steel and riveted together
with hard aluminum rivets.

P1020359.JPG
This is the finger brake I used to fabricate the box.

This little kit covers removal and installation of the spark plug, adjusting the chain tension
and other general maintenance that might be needed.

Spring is coming and I hope to have the bike in shape for some off road fun by then.

The bike is a Suzuki TS185 of about 1975 vintage. Maybe someone knows where the
original tool kit was mounted.....

From the Suzuki parts diagram ("Frame" section), it appears that it was stored under the seat toward the front. They were usually retained with a rubber band strap. Nice job on the tool box. It looks like it occupies the spot where the battery would normally be. A buddy of mine had that same bike when we were kids.

2019-01-09_7-51-01.jpg

From the Suzuki parts diagram ("Frame" section), it appears that it was stored under the seat toward the front. They were usually retained with a rubber band strap. Nice job on the tool box. It looks like it occupies the spot where the battery would normally be. A buddy of mine had that same bike when we were kids.

Excellent John! Thank you. I did see that little strap but thought it had something to do with holding the rat's nest of wiring under the seat.
I'm still pondering over the electricals as it is a 6 volt system, no starter, just kick start. Maybe I will add a battery
or possibly just run the headlight and tail light off the alternator. Also considering rewinding the alternator for 12
volts possibly and opting for a 12 volt battery and lights, etc. I still have some time to work it all out as winters
up here give me time to do machine work and tinker.

Nice work. Put a pair of disposable gloves and paper towels in the wrap. That way you break down on the side of the road and after working on it come out clean.

I think you have more in that tool kit than came in most of the original ones. Plastic bag held under the seat. I use to pad them with the old red grease rags that way it kept them for killing things, and also gave me something to wipe my hands on.

My dad bought my brother and I a TS90 brand new in 1972. Does yours have the v-shaped lever on top of the gearcase for HI-LO range? We lived at 7000 ft altitude, and the bike could only just get rolling in High gear, and acceleration was, shall we say, Lazy. When we took it to my cousin's place, at 3000 ft., it perked up quite a bit. Good memories. Thanks for the reminder:grin big:

My dad bought my brother and I a TS90 brand new in 1972. Does yours have the v-shaped lever on top of the gearcase for HI-LO range? We lived at 7000 ft altitude, and the bike could only just get rolling in High gear, and acceleration was, shall we say, Lazy. When we took it to my cousin's place, at 3000 ft., it perked up quite a bit. Good memories. Thanks for the reminder:grin big:

No, there is no high-low range on this one but I have heard that some models did. I'm in relatively low country here so expect it will be
just fine for trail riding in the woods. This one has a five speed transmission.

Here's a photo of the TS185 as it looks today. P1020360.JPG

The main projects were pushing out the dents in the fuel tank :eek 2: and painting the tank as well as making a new seat cover.
I could tell it had been dumped over a number of time as I spent a lot of time straightening the appendages. Luckily the
motor, frame, front shocks and wheels and tires were intact.:)

Back