Adapter for a steady rest

nctoxic

Registered
Registered
When I bought my Craftsman 12x36 lathe, one of the items thrown into the deal was a steady rest. After a few days of playing with my new (to me) toy, I attempted to figure out how to use the steady rest. That's when I realized it was a 10" steady rest! >:( Instead of selling it and looking for a 12", I decided to make an adapter to raise the center of it 1" to be usable with my lathe. I didn't have any 1" stock on hand so 2 pieces of 1/2" plate cut to fit would surely do, along with a piece of 1/4" to center the base on the ways. With my milling attachment, I made a couple of grooves for the rest's feet to sit in, and it worked just fine. I did weld/tack the three pieces together after the pic was taken. It doesn't look professionally made, but it was a learning experience, and for me it was an accomplishment. :)

DSC00334.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A good way of getting around a problem. ;0 Always a good feeling when you fix it yourself.
I makes you wonder where all the steady rest go to off lathes, there must be a grave yard somewhere. LOL

I bought a fix and traveling steady, face plate and 4 jaw chuck off ebay for this size lathe which is the same as mine. The guy spun me a line that the guy buying the lathe already had them and didn't want them? I didn't believe it but bought them anyway.

Dave

Back