Adapting 820 gearbox to MW 10" lathe (Logan 200)f

OK. Now knowing how the thing goes together, I can convince my eye to just make out the bottom left teeth of the Reverse Gear (so called on the parts drawings) peeking out from under the 24T Stud Gear in various photos. I went back and added a paragraph to my previous post.

Alright, thanks for the help all, I finally succeeded! I had to order a keyseat cutter, so that took a few days to show up. I got a 5/32"x5/8" woodruff key. 5/32 because most of the other keys in the lathe are 5/32, and 5/8 instead of 7/8 because that was a touch shorter than the length of the gear. It allowed me to a use a cheaply made collar instead of using up one of the keyed ones.

Assembly was a bit frightening, lining up the keyway was very difficult since there is only about a 50-tho area where you can see the key not yet on the gear. After about 20 half-assemble/disassemble cycles getting the leadscrew into the gearbox, it 'just worked' once! I tightened down the 1/2-20 nut on the end with my shaft collar in between, and locked it all down. The rest of attaching it to the lathe went easy enough, though the auto-crossfeed gear was a total pain to get lined up right.

I put on the banjo (which I'd taken 1/4" off of the thickness, otherwise the gears didn't line up right), popped the 48 gear tooth on the gearbox and 24 on the stud gear. I used a 60 tooth in the middle (since that was what is on my adapter collar) and bolted it all together! I did a 14 tooth run and checked it with my thread gauges, and it was dead on!

I've got a new door coming soon, so I think thats my only thing left as a 'TODO' before I call this project a complete success!

Did you finish and get the new door? :) Any pictures?
Paul
Hah! Oh man... I DID end up getting a new door, installed it, and all worked great! Until I found a really good deal on a much bigger lathe, so I sold the Logan on Craigslist.

Back