Adapting a Sebastian to use L0 or L1

How big is your lathe? If it's under 16" I would go with an L00 size spindle. They easily handle up to a 12" chuck, take up less room, and are easier to find and less expensive. My 13" Sheldon has the L00 spindle, and I find it's more than adequate. I purchased a like new 10" 4 jaw Skinner chuck for the machine a while ago for $100.00. All the L0's and L1's available were well worn and more than twice the price.

You might want to check out eBay or other online sites for someone parting out a Sebastion. If memory serves correctly the L00 spindle was an option.

It is a 16" machine, @projectnut, but how often do you need a 12" chuck in a home shop? :) I was actually looking to adapt a smaller one.

On L00, the max taper diameter is 2.75. Subtract the 2.125 and cut that in half will leave me a little over 1/4" of thickness where it screws on. That's cutting close, but should be doable.

Now, I have to think through how I would true up the taper. I also need to get the current backing plate off. I think it may not have been removed since the thing shipped out to the Navy.

Back