Add Oil Grooves to Ways on Enco Knee Mill 100-5200 Circa 1985?

Paul Jr

Registered
Registered
Greetings everyone, I just moved my first mill in today and while I have it apart I gave it a good wipe down to get rid of condensate from temp change, then coated everything in oil while it acclimates. Before I completely assemble it again I was considering the possibility to installing an actual oiling system or oil points. Currently the only lube method is squirting oil on the ways. In my mind that isn't effective since the oil will just be pushed away as I move into it toward the machine, or wiped away when moved to the front. The dimples in some of the pics are dust or dirt in the oil, I was trying to highlight the lines in ways.

Is there a good way to add grooves or oil points?

Also there is no Knee or rear saddle wiper, has anyone made/installed either when the factory did not?

Otherwise the machine is in excellent shape, table ways and gibs still have the factory flaking, only noticeable wear is on saddle ways on top of the knee, which is from not having a rear wiper.

Any other tips/mods while I have it all apart are welcome!

Thanks,

Paul
IMG_20190112_213756.jpgIMG_20190112_213902.jpgIMG_20190112_213924.jpgIMG_20190112_213939.jpgIMG_20190112_213953.jpg

Welcome to H-M
A DRO would be my suggestion. I have the same machine but my machine had a One Shot Oiler and a DRO installed when I got it.
I have not had it apart to see what mods were made for the oiler to work. You can look at the Grizzly G0678 to see the oiler I’m refereeing to.
I changed the motor to a 3ph and added a VFD to have variable speed at the turn of a knob. Changing the speed with the belts is a PIA on this machine. Well, it is on mine anyway.
Glad you got one in reasonably good shape.

Thanks Z2V. I should have mentioned some things I have plans to do. DRO was on top of the list. One shot oiler is what got me to thinking about how to add oil grooves. I am leaning towards hand scraping the grooves instead of buying a cheap Harbor freight mill to mill them. a 3ph motor, phase converter and VFD are definitely on the wish list too but will probably be last. First I want to preserve the way condition and ensure it will not wear out prematurely, probably start on that project tomorrow.

Reactions: Z2V
I used a 2" or so cutoff wheel in a die grinder to add Oil grooves to my Rockwell mill. I drilled 1/8" holes for supply lines, used 1/4-28 grease fittings and converted grease gun for pressurized oil. Grooves were added on back (vertical) side of knee and on both sides of the saddle.

I also added neoprene way covers, which keeps chips out (no wipers).

See:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rockwell-21-100-spindle-rebuild.67913/#post-625599

I used a 2" or so cutoff wheel in a die grinder to add Oil grooves to my Rockwell mill. I drilled 1/8" holes for supply lines, used 1/4-28 grease fittings and converted grease gun for pressurized oil. Grooves were added on back (vertical) side of knee and on both sides of the saddle.

I also added neoprene way covers, which keeps chips out (no wipers).

See:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rockwell-21-100-spindle-rebuild.67913/#post-625599

Excellent ideas, I like the work you did. You removed the knee from the column to add grooves? I considered that but having a difficult time figuring out logistics of getting the head back off and attempting that by myself. I need some better material handling equipment for sure. This morning I heated up an old mangled screwdriver and pulled it from the handle. While plastic was still soft I pressed in a Drill blank. The curved edge is already sharp enough to cut steel and is the right contour for oil grooves. Unfortunately I have to change the rake angle somehow to keep it from digging in.IMG_20190113_113404.jpg

Went to go take off the knee and found this. It looks like the key sheered and is wedged on preventing me from removing the gear. Any ideas? Pay no mind to the flip flops and socks ;-)
IMG_20190113_154317.jpg

Disregard my last but I'm leaving it for anyone seeking the same question. There are two key slots. It is pressed on fairly tight. Got the knee marked for oil grooves.
With everything removed and Gib adjusted out I was able to lift it off myself, it's heavy but not insane.
IMG_20190113_175856.jpgIMG_20190113_175846.jpgIMG_20190113_182606.jpg

Drill and tap it to run a 1 shot oiler, it will not be the cheapest method but it will make your mill last years longer. I have the benchtop version of the same mill, I will do this modification also. I just need to find a z gib or make one because the mill was missing it when I got it. Tim

Drill and tap it to run a 1 shot oiler, it will not be the cheapest method but it will make your mill last years longer. I have the benchtop version of the same mill, I will do this modification also. I just need to find a z gib or make one because the mill was missing it when I got it. Tim

I changed the pattern a bit, carefully ground grooves by hand and drilled all holes needed, added push connect fittings and connected everything to a 9 way adjustable manifold. One shot oiler works great now. Good luck with yours.

Back