Added another car to the garage. 67 Nova

Finally able to work on the Nova again, and work on the ride height. I changed out one set of coil over shock springs, and got a good amount of change, but it's extending the shock too much. The previous owner did the conversion, and added 3" buckets to the shock towers that made the car lower.
For the very first time ever, I used a lathe, and cut 1 3/4" out of the tower bucket. Setting everything up, center height for the blade and double checking procedures for parting, and truing up the buckets on the jaws took most of the day. It was successful, I didn't get hurt, and nothing broke. Now to weld this one up, and do the other side.

Great to hear that no blood was donated Mike . You like the lathe ? Have fun making chips ? LOL , now you're really hooked . :grin:

They short shipped me two columns, so the garage is 10' short right now...

At least you have no worries about snow load on the roof!
What's a few billion phontons weigh?
-brino

I'm mentally tired mostly, and excited that I finally had something to make on the lathe. So much to worry about for a rookie......

From the cutting chips looks like you've done a fine job, slow feeding using plenty of cutting oil. i'll suggest weld it inside and out then chuck it back in the lathe and cut the excess weld off. If you need a bit more high, you can flip it and mount it inside the shock tower, or make a flat one from some flat plate simple shape and a few holes.

Well I'm a bit high off the ground now, I have 2 choices. Back the adjuster down, or put the 350# springs back in. I do not have any fluids in the car, and the exhaust is not in, so I'm going to wait to figure it out.

OK I lied I couldn't keep walking by without trying to see the nose back down. I have 3 1/2" to the back of the pan, and the tire is back in the fender well a little better.

Back