Adding DROs to A Sieg SC4 (LMS 3540)

MontanaAardvark

Registered
Registered
I've had my Little Machine Shop 3540 for a couple of years now, and I'm getting tired of counting turns on the wheels. Since it's virtually the same size as 9x20, I figured it would be easy to find kits to add DROs, but I don't seem to find any.

Sieg has a kit for digital readouts on the cross slide and compound rest, but those are the ones I have the least trouble. The main one I'd like to put a DRO on is the carriage handwheel. After that, probably the tailstock.

The way I estimate it, I don't think there's going to be more than 18" of travel on the carriage, and there are some kits that long.

Has anyone here gone down this road? I'd like to have an idea of where to mount the thing. There are magnetic and glass kits, and I really don't know the advantages/disadvantages of each.

I installed a new ultra thin/small dro on my 12x36 awhile back. I posted some pictures and descriptions but I'm not sure how to point you to that post. I think this will get you there.

I think this link should work:
New Ultra Small DRO just installed.

It was easy to install & it has worked great. The small size would sure be an advantage on a small mill.

I installed a new ultra thin/small dro on my 12x36 awhile back. I posted some pictures and descriptions but I'm not sure how to point you to that post. I think this will get you there.

I think this link should work:
New Ultra Small DRO just installed.

It was easy to install & it has worked great. The small size would sure be an advantage on a small mill.

That's cool, and the kind of details I'm looking for. I saw the one little piece with mounting screws, but did you use them on the long strip along the back? Or did you bond it in place with epoxy or something?

There is just the one little strip (about 1" lone) at each end.

Initially I thought maybe it would needed one in the center but Dan (at DROPros} talked me into trying without one first. I did and it is fine without a center piece.

You just need to make sure that the strip has a straight path in all 3 planes. My lathe has "Bondo" on the back and had several high spots (the reason for the the sanding). I could have shimmed one or both ends to get over the high spots instead.

I put a touch dro system on my Sieg SC4.

Since I made the video, rejigged the cross slide scale to make access to the carriage lock easier, and changed the clamping bolt from the stock socket head to a 7mm hex head.

5316C65D-CC60-428B-B90D-1A155105B0E2.jpeg5BC937D2-2D3F-4C1C-AF49-E2D22429B939.jpegB5B56715-A106-4042-990F-CA05310E6786.jpeg

More info on TouchDro here
https://forum.yuriystoys.com/index.php

I put a touch dro system on my Sieg SC4.

Since I made the video, rejigged the cross slide scale to make access to the carriage lock easier, and changed the clamping bolt from the stock socket head to a 7mm hex head.

View attachment 268687View attachment 268688View attachment 268689

More info on TouchDro here
https://forum.yuriystoys.com/index.php

I ran across TouchDRO and Yuriy's Toys while looking into who makes DROs. Nice to see them on an SC4.

I moved to my SC4 from a Sherline, and Sherlines don't have a carriage lock . I didn't know there was one on the SC4 until a couple of days ago. I had gone through the owner's manual looking for that term again and didn't find anything. Mentioned it to a friend who doesn't even have an SC4, but a smaller "7 by" lathe and he immediately told me where it must be. Right now it just has a 4mm hex key stuck in it. I might stick it in with a little Bondo or something like that.

I saw the three displays that seem to be carriage, cross feed, and motor RPMs, right? Do you have anything on the tailstock?

How long is the sensor for the readout on the carriage? It looks to me like an 18" or 450 or so mm would work.

Hi Bob,

Yes - I have X, Y and RPM on the DRO readout. I have a separate scale on the tailstock:

IMG_7756.JPG

The scale for the bed is approx. 550 (Just under 24")

IMG_3875.JPG

Back